I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with a fly rod kit
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2017 10:48PM

My father is retiring this fall, and has mentioned on several occasions that he wants to do some fly fishing when he does (he hasn't in over 40 years, and I'm not sure he will, but...). We live in Ohio, and he mostly fishes farm ponds for LMB and occasionally wades the river for SMB, but rarely does he catch fish larger than 3lb., most in the 12"-15", 1lb. range (he doesn't care!), and fishes with a spinning rod. I'd like to build him a fly rod, but don't know where to start. Can anyone point me toward a kit or the components/spec's for the parts I need to build a rod for this type of fishing? I have zero experience in fly fishing, and don't even know how to speak the language!
Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with a fly rod kit
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-168.myvzw.com)
Date: June 11, 2017 03:32AM

Hi Paul,

Here is a place to start. [www.mudhole.com]

For the size fish he is catching, a 6 or 7 weight would probably do. I'm sure others will chime in, as well.

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2017 12:02PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 08:31AM

Paul,
Please email me.
I will walk you through the process.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 11:54AM

Mudhole has some nice fly rod kits, I would not go heavier then a 6wt if fly fishing is new to him, and either a 5wt or 6wt will handle fish of that size.

Mudhole also has videos and instructions on building rods.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 12:55PM

I would most likely recommend a 5wt for that application

Ron Weber

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 03:46PM

I have never bought a "kit" but have been wrapping up fly rods for years. I'm no expert at all but it's fun and combined with tying my own flies (a new venture), it's pretty cool to catch fish on your own rod and flies.

The main reason i have never bought a kit is that this is the opportunity to assemble each component that <<i>> want to use. my choice in guides, my choice in stripper guides, reel seat, wood spacer or lal metal, butt or no butt, type of cork check, shape and size of cork grip, etc. you may want to explore those options by looking at online catalogs, requesting paper catalogs mailed to you, or visit a place that sells the components. also look at off-the-shelf rods and now with the eye of someone assembling their own, see what has been done by others.

i do not know what is generally favored in your part of ohio, but you may want to contact a local club there and see what is often used. my initial thought was a LMB rod for under 3-lb fish in ponds might be a 4 piece, 9 foot in 6, 7, or even 8wt rod.

two things you should consider. one, he is retiring, so he may want to expand his fishing beyond LMB farm ponds and local rivers for smallies. after all, he fly fished in his 20s last. there may be a lot of adventures he's put off over the decades. and two, you may need to wrap him more than one rod in the end :)

many of the sources to the left of this page are sponsors and would piece the parts together for you during a phone call as an option to a labeled "kit." but those are available too. Bingham, Mudhole, Utmost, are three i have dealt with in the past and the last two were very helpful in piecing parts together and answering questions. i've only order online from mudhole.

good luck!

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2017 06:41PM

Thanks for the replies!
My father's not new to fly fishing...or at least he wasn't 40 years ago! He still has the fly tying bench he built 40 years when life offered more time for what's REALLY important, but I'm sure he'll have to relearn technique!
Herb-I sent you an email, and appreciate your offer to help!
Thanks again, guys...I'll post an update after the build!

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 12, 2017 08:37AM

Paul,
Base your rod weight decision on the flies you choose to fish with.
The fly size and wind resistance will determine the fly line weight you choose.
Build the rod to handle the fly line.
If he's casting small poppers you can get by with as small as a 5 weight.
If he wishes to use large deer-hair offerings a 7 weight is a better choice.
If he want's to throw large streamers and bunny flies he probably need's an 8 weight.
You can cast small flies on a heavier line, but casting large flies on a light line is a lot of work.
You can also build a heavy line rod on the light side and enjoy both sides.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster