I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar vs Cousins 6455XH
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:43PM

I've been a big fan of Calstar's 6455XH blank for a long time now. But with the current issues with Calstar's supply output, I'm looking for alternatives. I noticed that Cousins tackle has a 6455XH in their range, but haven't heard any reviews for this blank. Has anyone had any experience with this blank, or any of the other fiberglass tuna blanks that cousins offer? If so, how do they compare to the calstar and seeker? And perhaps most importantly, how do they justify charging nearly double the price of the other brands??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar vs Cousins 6455XH
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 10:02PM

Count on Cousins to put out a high quality product. Having said that, I am not trying to imply that Calstar does not. Wade Cunningham has been around the blank building arena for many decades. He knows his stuff and knows it well. He may be using old Sabre or even Fenwick mandrels.

Date: June 10, 2017 11:24PM

Thanks Chuck. I don't doubt that wade and co. are putting out a quality product, but I am very much wondering why they charge over 170% for the equivalent eglass? What benefits can I expect from that extra money that a calstar can't provide? And there are subtle but important differences between the action of calstars and the equivalent seeker blanks, so I'm wondering how the action of the cousins compares to these two?

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 03:56AM

You are welcome Dane. I don't know why they are so expensive compared to Calstar or Seeker. Frankly that had me quite shocked when I looked at their blanks sometime last year. I do not know what, if any differences there are between any of them. I would think the Seekers are more like the Calstars. I believe that Seeker had bought their mandrels from California Tackle when they closed their doors for good. Leon Todd,the head of Calstar,had a hand in the design of most of the Sabre line. Most notably their Stroker series. I am landlocked in Denver and nobody here carries them. I'm sorry I am not able to help you with more than my limited information.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 12, 2017 01:37PM

If you’re interested in hearing about RainShadow Rod Blanks these are the models we believe would be the closest fit from us (though we don’t have first hand experience with that blank).

From our RX6/E-Glass Tuna series we’d say: RCTB56H & RCTB56XXH [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Or from our E-Glass Stand Up rod blanks the FSU56XH [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 12, 2017 06:50PM

Thanks Chuck and James.

James, the only reason I haven't yet tried any batson blanks is because of the exorbitant costs of posting blanks to Australia. As far as I am aware (and I might be quite naïve about what's available), mudhole is the only supplier that has reasonable shipping costs using fedex. So when it comes to blanks, I feel like I'm restricted to mudhole's range. I would be very happy to hear of another alternative??

Cheers, Dane.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 13, 2017 10:20AM

Dave,

We have one Australian distributor:
ACM Custom Rods
Etta Bay, QLD
0412-821-768
www.acmcustomrods.com.au

They don't have the above models on their site but they can always get them in, just give them a call for a price. I imagine that they would get the shipping price down quite a bit.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster