I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer Clutch Question
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 12:39PM

Anyone use one of the Rod Dryer Clutches that are sold by Flexcoat, Mudhole and probably others? Do they have an actual clutch mechanism or does the rod just spin (slip) within the rubber cap that holds the rod butt when you stop the rod from spinning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer Clutch Question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 04:05PM

Robert,
The flex coat dryer clutch works as follows:

1. The chuck is a formed cup with a flat bottom on both the inside and the outside of the cup. i.e. the inside and outside of the cup bottom are exactly parallel.
2. The motor mounting shaft has a threaded 1/4x20 hole on the chuck side, and a 1/4 inch hole on the motor side of the shaft.
3. Then, 2 holes are cross drilled and tapped in the shaft - one to intersect with the 1/4 x 20 mounting bolt, and one to intersect the motor shaft as the shaft is slipped onto the motor.
4. In use, the motor mounting set screw is made tight after slipping the chuck on the 1/4 inch motor shaft.
5. Then, the 1/4 20 bolt with a washer on both the inside and the outside of the cup bottom is slowly tightened down to secure the cup. But, the tightening process is stopped when the cup reaches the point where the clutch will hold the rod and turn the rod, but will stop if a person grabs the for for slowing or stopping the rod - for the application of finish. At that point, the setscrew that intersects the chuck holding bolt is made tight to keep the mounting bolt from changing its adjustment.

6. If you want more pressure on the chuck and the rod, loosen the holding bolt set screw, readjust the chuck holding bolt as desired, and then retighten the set screw to hold the bolt adjustment secure.

--------------
So, you have a shaft that on one end slips onto a motor and a sect screw to hold the shaft tight to the motor.
The other end of the shaft has a threaded hole and a set screw to hold the chuck mounting bolt at any clutch adjustment desired.

The key point about the success of the flex coat clutch are two fold.
a. A preformed cup, with perfectly parallel inside and outside bottom.
b. A premade chuck face that can be changed easily if one needs to replace a ripped chuck face or if a chuck face with a different hole size needs to be installed on the chuck.

Buy the genuine product. It works well and it is inexpensive for the use that one gets from it. I know that some shops have coated thousands of rods using the same flex coat chuck with 0 issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 04:21PM

The simple answer is, it has a clutch, not just the rod slipping within the cup.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 04:21PM

The simple answer is, it has a clutch, not just the rod slipping within the cup.

Posted by: John DeMartini (47.196.74.---)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:21PM

The compression of the washers against the front and back faces of the cup is the "clutch".
Tightening the 1/4-20 bolt compresses the washers against the faces of the cup and
sets the force required to keep the cup from turning.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2017 02:47PM

Robert,

I have one of the slip clutches in the 4 rod drying cabinet that I built. I love it...wish I had another one or two!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2017 04:41PM

The flex coat uses as Phil state\ted uses a "clutch". It is a simple friction drive behind the cup and works perfectly and can also be adjusted if you need more friction. I have two and they have performed flawlessly .

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster