I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides at the joints
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 10, 2017 08:32AM

I was laying out the guide spacing according to a chart from the internet, actually several just to see what the differences were between them and most of them were close to the same distances. I have 3 9' blanks, a 4 6 and 8 wgt. There some minor differences but each blank had at least one guide that was close to a joint. My question is, are there any potential problems putting a guide at each joint? The usual way would be to put thread at the joint and then an inch or two is a guide and more thread. All that thread, to my eye, looks a bit crowded, a fair amount of thread in a small area. I understand that flat spots are to avoided so I work the spacing to avoid the flat spots. Any consideration need to be given to the caster who may need a rod that casts the longer distances aka too many guides or not enough. Hopefully I have been clear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides at the joints
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:32AM

Robert,
If it works out, I prefer to put a guide right at the joint. That way, I can wrap the joint and the guide with the same thread wrap.

Never any issues.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:39AM

Agree with Roger. Moving a guide or guides a bit to make this work will not significantly affect rod performance. Seems like it always happens with my fly builds.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:49AM

Another alternative would be to use a regular thread color that closely matches the blank color when the thread is wet at the ferrules. This is done to make the ferrule wrap less conspicuous.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 10:54AM

i have never used used a ferrule wrap or intentially placed a guide on a ferrule in over 50 years,,,just lucky i guess, but usually used one or two more guides than called for..maybe that,s why i,m lucky. lol.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 05:19PM

Ross's method of matching the rod blank is what I use when the ferrule has no close guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster