I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Grip is Off-Center
Posted by: Kelly Dow (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2017 12:55PM

Alright, so it's been awhile since I posted here mostly because you guys/gals have helped me so much already so I was actually making progress on my first build. However, I ran into an issue and after searching the web, I cannot seem to find a solid answer.

I am building a 2wt fly rod and after assembling the grip, I noticed it was off-center a bit. I tried to find a winding check that would cover the top of the cork grip to hide this fact but really just made it worse. At this point, I am looking for suggestions on a solution. I have attached some pics at the link below. It just looks awful now and I am not sure if there is a way to remove the cork grip and reel seat altogether and start over? Even if I have to buy a new reel seat and cork grip it may be worth it as these were part of an MHX kit from Mudhole so prob not too expensive to replace. The cork grip had too large of an inside diameter out-of-the-box so I used tape bushings to secure it onto the blank but I did not notice it was off-center until it dried, LESSON LEARNED.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciate. Should I remove and replace or is there a way to fix the issue?

[imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 12:56PM by Kelly Dow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Grip is Off-Center
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2017 01:24PM

Kelly,
Really, no big deal.
No, it does not look awful.

Get another winding check that is a slip fit onto the rod blank. Then, do a butt wrap up to the winding check and you will be good to go.

You know that the grip is not perfectly centered on the blank, but no one else will know. The slight off center of the grip will have 0 effect on your use of the rod.

p.s.
The thing that I have done with a very bad case of off set, is to do about a 1/2 inch wrap tight to the grip. Then, use a blunt screw driver to force the thread down the gap in the grip and blank. If the void is still there, do another 1/2 inch thread wrap and force that wrap down into the void of the grip. By that time, you will likely find that the end of the grip is nicely centered on the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2017 01:36PM

not a big deal for sure
But if you want it perfect you can cut the grip back 1 inch and get 2 new cork rings and ream them to fit from the top down to where the meet the grip then glue them on and let it cure and then sand them to match the grip keeping it centered on the blank add the check and your mistake disappears that is easier than re doing the entire grip and seat

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2017 01:41PM

Kelly

Yep, it's off center, and nothing short of removal and replacement will make it on center.

There is, however, a possible cosmetic fix. Place whatever winding check you intend to use on the grip, just don't epoxy or glue the check in place. Then trace around the check with a pencil. Remove the check and slowly and carefully sand away the excess cork to the traced line. Again, that is slowly and carefully being certain not to sand in flat spots, and do feather or smooth the cork reduction into the remaining cork. If you can mount the rod in a lathe or other device to hold the rod and grip steady, a strip of 220 or finer grit sandpaper can be used as if you were buffing shoes. Did I mention working slowly checking your progress often?

The grip will still be off center, but the eye will not pick it up provided the transition from the forward third of the grip to the check is smooth.

Good luck.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2017 03:03PM

If you have access to a lathe that is capable of spinning the blank section, you can use a round nose scraper to return the grip to concentric with the rod blank. This will require a very slight reduction in grip diameter, of course, but would be the simplest fix.

Date: June 09, 2017 06:10PM

I appreciate all of the responses. The winding check that you see in the pic is unfortunately already glued on so what is the best way to remove it without damaging the cork?

Date: June 09, 2017 06:22PM

What glue or adhesive did you use?

Date: June 09, 2017 06:38PM

Donald La Mar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What glue or adhesive did you use?

Zap-A-Gap CA+. Super glue basically. It's all over the top of the cork as you can kind of see in the pic. It looks horrible to me, like I said, lesson learned but I want it to look at least decent.

Date: June 09, 2017 07:47PM

It's bad for you stuff, but acetone is a solvent for CA. If you have no other need for a tin of acetone, try the wife's / significant other's finger nail polish remover, which is usually acetone.

Acetone on the skin and inhaling the fumes is a bad idea. And it's highly flammable.

If the rod is for your personal use, I'd be tempted to cal it a learning experience and a day by leaving it as is.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 09, 2017 08:09PM

Cork grips are easy to remove with common tools that all of us have. Since you haven't wrapped the rod yet, why not just get another grip and replace it?

Date: June 09, 2017 09:44PM

Jay McKnight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cork grips are easy to remove with common tools
> that all of us have. Since you haven't wrapped the
> rod yet, why not just get another grip and replace
> it?

I don't have an issue with changing it out but what is the procedure to remove the reel seat and cork grip?

The rod is for me personally so it's not the end of the world if it has to remain as-is but I guess I'm trying to use this as a learning experience so wanted to try and fix if I can, for future reference at the very least.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2017 07:04AM

Opinion #283...

I would take that winding check off and try Roger's trick of pushing thread into the gap in an effort to force the grip over. If that didn't work, then I'd just remove it and install a new grip. You should not have to buy a new reel seat.

Regardless the outcome with the grip...I would measure & buy me a winding check that fit. Don't put the one that's on there now back on. Again, that's only my opinion.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 09:34AM

To remove the winding check, just use a razor knife and slice it off. You can remove a touch of cork at the same time, but the cork is easy to cut.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster