I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod Thread "replacement".
Posted by: William Scott Hunt, III (---.sub-174-194-4.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2017 08:57AM

I dropped out of building several years ago. Looking to start back! I was always a Gudebrod user. For those out there who were the same, what thread have you found to be the best replacement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod Thread "replacement".
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 09:06AM

Scott,
There are a dozen threads on the market these days.

Buy the one or ones that you like and enjoy them. They all work.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 10:18AM

Pro Wrap from Mudhole.com is a good place to start. Their nylon threads are fine, have that little bit of stretch that we like in nylon. Very good color selection. Their regular metallics are quite hard to handle, not as good as Gudebrod. Their up-level metallics probably handle better, but don't have the right colors, iMHO. But Mudhole sells other metallics. I've also used Fuji threads, polyester, I believe, and they handle well and look very bright and nice. I only have experience with A size, which is right for most fresh water rods. But Roger is right. There are many more that I have not mentioned because I have no experience with them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 10:19AM

If you have some specific Gudebrod colors you're interested in, mention it here and you may find one of the sponsors on the left have some in stock.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 02:11PM

There is no replacement for Gudebrod. It was made in the U.S.A. The next best thread was Rice, and Merrick Tackle. But, like Mike said, if you have a color and size you might get lucky.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 07:09PM

I mostly use ProWrap and Fuji threads. ProWrap has the best selection of colors available and I choose ProWrap when color selection matters. Otherwise I choose The Fuji thread because you can't beat the quality of any of their threads, and I especially like their NoCP threads! I still have a good selection of the older Gudebrod thread in both reg nylon and metallic and wish it were still being made. I have also used some Anglers Workshop thread (their own colors) that I also like.

Rog

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 10:00PM

Give Fuji thread a try. Very consistent and really looks good.

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: June 13, 2017 01:07AM

Check Mudhole's website or latest catalog. I believe I remember seeing in one of the two where they have a new color matching system for Prowrap that denotes color matches for some Gudebrod colors (and a few other brands), if your're trying to match new thread to the old Gudebrod

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2017 11:39PM

The Angler's thread was Rice thread, strange how the quality of Gudebrod thread got legendary after you could no longer get it, wasn't so when it was easy to find, at least in my corner of the world.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2017 12:13AM

To me Gudebrod was just thread, nothing special about it. I have used must brands of rod wrapping thread (not embroidery thread), and find them all about the same. Never really had problems wrapping with any of them.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster