I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help w glx repair
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: June 07, 2017 08:54PM

I had a glx mb844 brought to me to repair a couple of guides on. The strange thing to me is when I removed the second guide from the tip I noticed it had an underwrap. Any reason for it on this light of a rod? Does anyone know why loomis wrapped it in this fashion? Of all the bass rods I have ever built I've never used an underwrap.

Thanks
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 10:31PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help w hex repair
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2017 09:26PM

well I would do it to protect the blank from the foot rubbing the blank causing a failure if it is a fast taper and flexes along that part of the rod the most just a light under wrap does the trick the blank is softer than the guide foot and does tend to ware the blank where the guides are placed.
some one will come along and say glue them down but that isn't the answer as that will cause more of a problem if you need or have to do a repair like your doing !!

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2017 09:45PM

The foot shouldn't be moving on the blank. No rubbing should be taking place, not to mention that if the foot has been property prepped, it won't harm the blank to begin with.

Are you certain that someone else hadn't replaced that guide previously?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2017 10:05PM

I had the exact same thought as Tom. I have repaired a number of GLX bass rods and none of them had an under wrap. This would lead me to think that the guide had be replaced previously. There is really no need for an under wrap. Like you, I have never used an under wrap on a bass rod.
Norm

Date: June 07, 2017 10:31PM

Well it was only the upper 4 guides that were under wrapped. Everything appeared to be factory. I would say this rod is probably well over 20 years old. I can't even find the guides in any of my old Fuji literature. I am guessing maybe it is one that had PAC bay on it. Either way I tore it all down and have rewrapped it. I was very careful in prepping the guides. I swiped a nylon stocking from the mrs and used it to find burrs. The guides are smooth as I can get them with my tools. I wrapped it without any under wraps just as I have all of my other freshwater builds

Thanks for the help guys and have a great evening

Tom

Re: Help w glx repair
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2017 10:21AM

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that some of the very early GLX rods did have under wraps on the guides located on the top 3rd or so of the rod. There was some concern by Loomis that the very small diameter and thin walls of the blank in that area warranted it. My memory is a bit fuzzy here, but I do seem to recall this taking place that first year or so with some of the GLX rods.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2017 10:32AM

You are correct Tom Kirkman. For those very first GLX Rods or Rod Blanks that were first produced, many years ago, it was suggested to install under wraps for the first 3, 4 or 5 guides, coming down from the tip. This was due to the very thin wall construction.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: June 08, 2017 10:22PM

Awww shoot. I dropped it off with the owner today. I am going to look like a heel asking for it back to redo again. Oh well I guess ketchup goes good with crow. Thankyou very much Tom and Bob!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2017 11:59PM

Yeah, my PR844C GLX has under wraps on the tip guides. My FR1086-4 GLX fly rod does not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster