I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss is thick
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 05:15PM

Unless there is something new that i am not aware of I am assuming my 80% full bottle of Perma Gloss which is thick as syrup can't be thinned. If they is a salvation for this great product I would be all to happy to hear from someone.

Thanks
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 05:16PM by Tom Wewerka.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss is thick
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 06:17PM

Do you keep it in the refrigerator? I have found that cold Permagloss is more viscous than warm Permagloss. I store my Permagloss in an airtight container with desiccant in the refrigerator. Keeps for a long time, may seem thick but still works fine.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 07:42PM

One note, the thicker stuff works great on threadless wraps and as a top coat after a few thinner coats on all permagloss thread coating system.

Date: June 05, 2017 08:38PM

I tried it on a scrap rod and it seemed to work alright but this is for a new rod build and I do't have a great deal of confidence in it. Good idea on a top coat Spencer so I'll save it.

Norm good idea but unfortunately I just had it in my container with other epoxies.

Tom

Date: June 05, 2017 08:59PM

Since Permagloss is catilyzed by moisture in the air, the best way to store it is to keep it away from humid air. Some people put it in a metal can that is sealed with a screw in the bottom of the container. When they want some they loosen the screw and let out what they need. Never tried that method. Permagloss suggests storing it in an air tight container in the refrigerator. The reason is that cold air holds less moisture than warm air. I add the desiccant to try and keep the moisture level as low as possible. Works well for me have kept it for up to a year. When I first used Permagloss a number of years ago I kept it on a shelf with everything else. The first amount I used from that first bottle was water thin, the second time I used it could not get it out of the bottle; it was rock hard. Did not buy Permagloss for a while after that, but started using it agin a few years ago using the new storage method.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2017 01:45AM

The first, and only, three bottles of PG I have purchased all jelled within two months of opening, even here in SoCal where the humidity is rather low and being very conscientious of limiting open-bottle exposure time . I do not use it for wraps but only rod finish. I just try to schedule as many rod / blank refinishes as possible at one time and expect to throw the remainder away. Not such a bad thing as a 4oz bottle of PG will finish more than 10 blanks with a minimum of four coats, or about $1.25/blank. But watch out for that Xylene; it is nasty stuff!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: June 06, 2017 02:19AM

Tom,

Here is a post I made in 2007. I used that bottle of PermaGloss until this last December: 11 years. It finally cured hard in December.

[rodbuilding.org]

Take care,

Chris

Date: June 06, 2017 10:05AM

Chris - I believe it was your post that got me to try Permagloss again. Thanks!

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: June 07, 2017 12:56AM

Thanks, Norman. I appreciate your comment.

Chris

Posted by: Mike Ballard (107.189.61.---)
Date: June 08, 2017 07:38AM

It will still work if it isn't too thick to penetrate the thread and level for you. Keep using it until it is.

Date: June 11, 2017 04:52PM

Some very good information from everyone and I really appreciate it. I ordered a new bottle to be on the safe side and will store it like Norm and Chris suggested. As others, I don't use PG that often but t would be nice to know that when I so it will be ready to apply.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster