I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod Thread, want,want,want
Posted by: Marc Lager (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 12:59AM

30 years ago Gudebrod was all the rage for wrapping, and being the nostalgic kind of guy I am if anyone has any (100 yds or more, any color) sizes A,B,C,or D I'd love to take them off your hands. Getting back in the trade after a 30 year hiatus,

Thanks, Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod Thread, want,want,want
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 01:43AM

Marc,
That is fine. But if you do get any thread - it is likely to be 10-20 years old.

Nothing wrong with old thread if it holds, but it might make more sense to just pick up some thread of current manufacture.

The threads being sold today work very well.

If you want to go with a thread that has been around for a while, you can get Fish Hawk thread which is much like the thread that you asked about.

Good luck

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 02:01AM

Marc unhide your email address

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 09:01AM

We still have a limited supply left.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Contact us with your needs.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2017 08:09PM

Marc,

Try this guy:
edgamble49@gmail.com

I bought a boatload of Gudebrod thread from him a couple years ago.
Ed's Threads, he's in Florida.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2017 06:13AM

Steve,
A big boat load would weigh about 1000 lbs. That would be about 10,000 spools of thread. How many rods do you build every day to be able to use up 10,000 spools of thread?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 02:02AM

Now, now, Roger. Be nice!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-136.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 02:18AM

Roger,

Steve said boatload not big boatload. That certainly changes the amount of spools he bought.

I myself purchased a small boatload of Gudebrod thread several years ago, and was then given a medium sized canoe full as well. I enjoy using Gudebrod thread, and will continue to do so until I run out.

In all my years of handcrafting custom rods, I've only run across one spool of Gudebrod that had abrasion issues. The rest of the spools have been problem free, and that includes some of the 30+ year old stuff, from the canoe full.

If that's what someone wants to use, I certainly see no problem with it, and would never give anyone a hard time over doing it.

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 02:19AM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2017 01:54PM

Roger,

My "boat" is a 6 foot dingy I use to get out to my "yacht".
I purchased a couple hundred spools of nylon, NCP, HT metallic, HT braid, some Trimar, some butt wrap cord, etc. etc. in both A and D sizes, in 100 yard, 1 oz. and 4 oz. sizes.
Mr. Gamble informed me he purchased a semi-trailer of threads and miscellaneous items when Gudebrod had a lot of their inventory up for sale/@#$%& before they closed shop.
I have had no issues with any of the threads I purchased from him, and am in no way affiliated with his business.
His prices are very reasonable as well.
You can contact him for a current inventory list
Just trying to help some brothers out here.

Steve

Date: June 05, 2017 06:42PM

Not sure how to unhide my email. so… mlager4451@gmail.com

Date: June 05, 2017 07:03PM

OK, so I'm nostalgic… when I got all my rod building supplies out of storage from CA, I had 2 spools of Gudebrod thread, one a cream color (I think it may have been white 30 years ago) and black. both size "C" 450 yd spools. When I went to take the black spool off my thread tensioner, the spool itself kinda exploded and shattered in my hand, and needless to say I lost a few hundred yards of perfectly good thread. I have since purchased a few spools of "Pro-Wrap" NCP and yeah, it's OK. I used the old size C for a base on a butt wrap and it looked great, so yeah 30 year old thread works just fine, I mean Nylon has a shelf life of a couple centuries, right?

"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality" M.L.

Date: June 09, 2017 11:53PM

Marc Did you receive my email?

Date: June 09, 2017 11:53PM

Marc Did you receive my email?

Date: June 11, 2017 10:35AM

Thanks everyone for your responses, yes Barry, I did. Still waiting for my SS check, keeping my options open.

Date: June 12, 2017 02:26AM

Still here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster