I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks to all!!!
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2017 08:50PM

I just started building this past November, and the knowledge I've gained from this forum has always been appreciated, but I was AMAZED by the difference a custom rod made this past weekend! I live in Ohio, and target flathead catfish in our rivers (the biggest fish I can catch here), and the season is just getting hot. I fished from the bank with two rods...my old favorite and the one I built this past winter. Both rods are similar in that they are 7', 20-40 lb. mod-fast spinning rods, and I was using identical reels, line, and rigs. The reels seats are within an inch of each other from the butt, but the type of guides and the placement by static load testing aren't even close. In addition to several channel cats and smaller flatties, I caught a 27 pounder, followed by a 24 pounder on my old go to rod. I finally hooked a good one on my rod, but after a few seconds, I figured him to be in the 15-20 lb range. He weighed in at just under 36!
The components for the rod I built (with the help from a few of the sponsors to right...thanks to them, too!) cost me $3 less than I spent for my old go to, less consumables. The time spent building and researching were among the most enjoyable I've spent in many moons (though I'd go broke if I ever thought about doing this for a living!) But the difference in feel from a custom rod, built the right way, using quality components, as well as the art and science I'm learning from everyone here, was shocking! I'm going to have to relearn how to fish!
Again, thanks to all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks to all!!!
Posted by: Bill Davis (172.77.41.---)
Date: May 31, 2017 01:22AM

Hi Paul,

Congrats on your new rod and successful fishing. Sounds like you're going to be in for a heck of a summer.

You're sure right about the great info you get on this forum. All my days start out the same; I check my email and then check this forum and I'm good to go.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster