I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dobyns ? for Tom Wewerka
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 02:27PM

Tom, you posted about a Dobyns repair you had where the finish was so hard you were afraid of blank damage during wrap removal. I find myself in the same boat. How did you get the finish off. I looked into these rods (Savvy) and it states all wraps are Kevlar. I cut along the top of the guide foot last night and I can't see anything that even looks like thread. I have the top of the foot (micro) exposed completely and can't budge the thing. Of course the ring is broken off and there's nothing left to get a hold on. I have Citri-strip on the wrap now, and my fingers crossed. It all seemed so simple, rewrap one guide, black thread, finish. No problem! Thanks, Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dobyns ? for Tom Wewerka
Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: May 31, 2017 10:02AM

Not a Dobyns but I had a new GLoomis that the finish was extremely hard on.
I used a hair dryer and slowly warmed it and finally got it all off.
Called and emailed to see what type of finish they were using but no answer yet. Maybe the UV stuff?

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.mi.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2017 12:45PM

Lynn

Your right the Dobyns Rods has some tuff epoxy. I used an alcohol lamp to heat the epoxy then cut along the top of the guide foot. After I cut along the top of the guide foot I go back and heat the guide wrap again as I rotate the rod. This seams to help soften the epoxy enough to be able to peel it off.

I think the Kevlar wrap your talking about is the decorative wrap they have in front of the reel seat and between the grips on split grip rods.

Hope this helps
Lynn Williams

Date: May 31, 2017 05:37PM

Thanks for the help guys. I left Citri-strip on it for 18hrs. and that softened it enough that I could eventually get it off, and I mean just enough. Ricky you may have hit on the head about U.V. cure, this stuff is way harder than epoxy but has the same look, so not permagloss or similar. Lynn you are correct about the Kevlar also. So if anyone brings you a rod to have a few or all guides replaced make sure what you're up against before you quote a price.

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 01, 2017 11:41PM

have you ever tried steam from a tea kettle? 212 degrees will soften regular epoxy without worrying about damaging the blank with chemicals or fire.
Bob

Date: June 02, 2017 01:58PM

Robert, steam may well have been my next step if I hadn't gotten it, but this stuff is way harder than any epoxy guide finish I've ever run into. Then again I haven't seen everything.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: June 03, 2017 10:34AM

Lynn,
If you get in any quantum smoke rods be prepared for the same stuff. I just had three with epoxy as hard as could be!!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2017 05:32PM

Lynn
Been gone a few days and have been off the boards sorry. I called Doybns and they told me they used flex Coat Ultra V. Not wanting to put any heat on that expensive of a rod I just picked at it all the way down the guide. I could never get a thread free to pull it off and the ones I did just broke trying. It took forever but I finally got it.

I have done several since with no issues.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 05:33PM by Tom Wewerka.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster