I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Baitcasting Rod Build
Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 30, 2017 07:46AM

I've never built a baitcasting rod so I'm looking to the more experienced builders for some guidance. The rod blank is a SJ783-2-MHX, 6'6", 2 piece and I'm in need of guide make, size, and placement info. Was thinking of using Kigan guides, what are your opinions?

I'm not OLD........I'm CHRONOLOGICALLY GIFTED

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Baitcasting Rod Build
Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2017 08:16AM

Lawrence in short, you can get a guide placement chart, but I recommend static testing the blank/rod, you can do a search here or on google static testing rods and it should help. Each blank is slightly different and the static test is the best way to find your guide placement.
Guides are personal preference, it's whatever you like best, there are a lot of good guides being made today, as far as size that's another issue, where you will get some differences, I've found if you ask 10 people you might get 8-10 different answers. Guide size depends on the application really, ( my opinion ) but I've noticed the trend is smaller the better ( Bass Rods ). Since this rod is a baitcasting rod, and your first build I would look at either the micro wave guide train, or Fuji's new guide system. This will help you eliminate some of the choices you have to make.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of rod building, you have come to the right place, these guys are great and helped me a lot when I got started. I think I read and searched the site a couple of years before posting or asking for help. LOL Anyway I hope that helps, and I'm sure there will be others join in and help as well.
Have a great day.
Rich
Sorry I thought this was a spinning rod. Duh! Then after I posted I looked at the Subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2017 08:27AM by Rich Henderson.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 10:39AM

I use Micro Wave casting guides and follow the spacing recommendations that come with the guide set. Works great and is much easier than trying to figure it all out by yourself.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2017 11:40PM

Lawrence...where will you get the KIGAN guides? I need to order a few

Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 01, 2017 06:49AM

Jess, I won't mention a firm that doesn't advertise here. PM me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster