I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Cranking Rods ?
Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2017 07:41PM

I have a few questions and would like to hear the members opinions, experience. First off I have a good customer, friend who is really into fishing crank baits, in the past he has followed the Glass Rod thoughts, but recently he has switched to liking Graphite or blended rods more so than the all glass rod. So this weekend after fishing 4 days straight he calls me on way home from the lake and wants to talk the latest in Cranking Rods, thus my few questions. I'm in the information gathering stage now and will be sitting down with him later this week.
#1. Has anyone built or have experience with the new Rainshadow Judge Blanks? if so what are your thoughts, I have not built one yet.
#2. Phenix Cranking Rod Blanks, ? I would like to hear your thoughts & opinions on these, as I have built a few rods on these blanks and really liked the ones I built. Problem was, buddies or customers liked them better, so I let them go.
#3. He likes quality stuff and looks to spend in the $250-$300 range so I want to steer him in the right direction. I know what he likes in components so that's not an issue, but he's wanting 3-5 new cranking rods and said he's preferring lighter rods at this stage in his life.
#4. He is a big time Flat Balsa crankbait fisherman, shallows and around cover, as well as a real good deep cranking guy who does very well on the ledges of Ky. Lake so I'm thinking he's gonna want a couple shallow cranking rods, a medium depth cranking rod, and then a couple of deep diving cranking rods?
5. I know a lot of his equipment history and what brands or rods & blanks he's used in the past, but this time he said he want's to go one up? I've also been thinking about the St. Croix SCIV Blanks as they offer a good selection of cranking blanks as well.
6. Mudhole MHX Blanks are another line of Cranking rods I'll look at, so any help or preference for the above mentioned applications you may have for cranking rods would be appreciated.
Thanks again in advance and I hope everyone had a blessed and happy Holiday weekend. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and will get started on this project tomorrow.
Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2017 09:53PM by Rich Henderson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Cranking Rods ?
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2017 10:13PM

Take a Serious look at the American Tackle Bushido CB 72/8-15 or CB 78/ 8-15 Crank Bait rods.. You can pay a lot more, and get a lot less..

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 10:43AM

The last cranking rod I built (for myself) was on a MHX blend cranking blank spiral wrapped. Couldn't be happier.

Date: May 30, 2017 10:51AM

Thanks Randy & Doug, I will look into both of those and give him a few options. I was looking back in my log book and built another guy a MHX Blend crankbait rod last fall, it turned out very nice and he was more than happy with it. I have a Bushido blank, Jig rod in house right now and it seems very nice as well. I'll know more about it after the rod is finished but it's a MB73 certainly a powerful stick. Just never built any of the cranking or Moderate action rods yet?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 02:30PM

There is considerable difference between an E-Glass blank and an S-Glass blank, just is there is considerable difference between a 3rd generation and a 5th generation graphite blank - just in the characteristics of the structural fibers, let alone the matrix.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 07:38PM

i just made a rainshadow revelation crankbait rod for my own use, ive been more than pleased with the action. contact get bit outdoors,they are very helpful in selecting blanks/ action for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2017 07:40PM by Sam Folds III.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2017 12:32PM

Rich,

I had built numerous crank bait sticks including the Phenix glass crank bait sticks. Then I had a buddy ordered a composite crank bait stick. After some phone discussion and internet reviews, he chose the Phenix Rods X12- B Composite Crankbait Rod, Blank Color: Matte Charcoal, Rod Length: 7’-6”, Pieces: 1, Line: 8-20 lb., Lure: ¼ - 1 oz., Action: Moderate, Butt: .561, Tip: 5, Blank Wt.: 2.1 oz.

We fished a small club tournament together and I asked him to let me use the rod. I really liked it, (and so does he). Casts like a dream loads up nice and still forgiving in the tip area. It is refreshing not to be casting a 4-5 oz. CB Stick all day.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: May 31, 2017 11:45PM

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Rainshadow Immortal popping blanks for all my cranking needs. If you really want to knock his socks off, take a look at the Point Blank 731mlf.

Date: June 01, 2017 12:22AM

Thanks guys, I've been doing quite a bit of research this week and we are suppose to get together tomorrow evening.
The reason I mentioned the Phoenix blanks was I've got several customers that swear by their cranking blanks, but like other brands for other applications. But after comparing quite a few blanks they are all fairly close in numbers, the one thing I know he is a stickler on is warranty, and that puts the MHX & Rainshadow pretty close. This is the same customer I built a Jig rod for last year and used Carbon Fiber Handle assy.

Donald, yes that is the direction this guy is wanting to go in. He told me he spent 4 days fishing Ky. Lake, sun up to sundown and most of the time it was with big heavy rods, Jig rod, Swim bait, Magnum Spoon, and Flippin rod, his current Deep cranking rod is a Batson E-Glass, he loves it but it's a beast weight wise, thus him wanting to try something lighter.

My biggest concern is getting the right Composite or Blended rod with an acceptable action, I've already talked to him about some trade off and he's ok, as long as it still acts like a cranking rod ( parabolic ) bend.

Mark as far as Point Blank? I was not aware they made any Cranking blanks, last I heard they were still working on them, that's why I asked about the new Judge blanks from Batson.

Thanks guy, I appreciate the input & ideas.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 02, 2017 11:50AM

Rich, For myself I built a CTS Slow Jig 7' 6-12#, 1/8-1/4 oz. I asked and it was recommended to me by the CTS distributor here in NJ and it is a great crankin rod. Soft but sensitive and I'm not even using braid (just because of choice). I can feel every little bump and tic to a hank up or to hang on. I'm glad I took their recommendation, it truly is a great rod.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: June 05, 2017 11:44AM

One of the best cranking blanks I have built lately is the Rodgeeks Fiberglass Series - SG70MHM, $60 and has an unbelievable feel for a glass blank. If he throws DT 6's DT 10's and Squarebills of all flavors, this is absolutely a home run. On the 2 I've built I had them 2tone paint them and then had them paint the reel seat to match. Looks incredibly sharp.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 03:05PM

I just built the Phenix X-9 and absolutely love it. I fish mainly Cranks and have both fiberglass and composite. I highly recommend you try it out.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster