I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some advice on getting a new tip section for 2pc rod
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 06:31PM

Guess I have been lucky and never broke a 2-pc rod. Well my luck ran out. It was my own fault....lazy and only a couple of miles to get home....so I didn't break the rod down. Someone cut me off in traffic, I slammed on the breaks, and the rod launced into that little defroster vent area by the windsheild and broke off about two inches.

Now as far as I know the norm would be to return the tip section so a replacement could be properly fitted. But you see, I "don't think" I want to do that. The rod is a hot shot blank and I'm feeling with 2 inches off the tip it would make a dandy spin-jig rod......not to mention I like the guides/layout and the thread used to wrap them is unobtainable vintage stuff.

Maybe I'm crazy (so please talk my out of it) but I thinking I'd like to keep the old section and fish the rod as a spin-jig........but still get a new section so I can continue to use it as a hot shot (which is mostly doing duty as a finesse peacock bass/exotic panfish rod....LOL).

So, number one.....am I going to be able to buy a new tip section....that fits right....without having to ship something back? Number two, have any of you had any luck using a butt section with two different tip sections? Remember I'm only talking about trimming about two inches off the tip of an extra fast blank with mag butt power in the bottom section. I'd imagine the end result to be a typical fast action spin-jig.

And no, I haven't tried fishing it as is yet.....still a little too angry at myself and depressed over the incident.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice on getting a new tip section for 2pc rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 07:56PM

If you are not going to return the broken section to try for a warranty replacement, you will most likely need to buy another whole blank and hope the tip section fits properly.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 08:01PM

#1 is the rod blank covered by a warranty ?? #2 how old is it ?? #3 is that particular blank still made ?? #4 is a spigot ferule or a slip over blank ferule?? if you can answer those questions then you need to contact the Mfg. and ask them to send you another tip section as if it was originally a 2 piece blank it was made with 2 mandrels and the tip sections are consistent to fit anyone of the but sections
Either one might require a bit of refitting and that is easily done with some fine grit wet dry sand paper or just a bit off the end to get a tight fit if it is a slip over type then wrap it up and you have a 2 tip rod.
but personally I don't think that if you just put a tip top on it that it would change that much from it's original configuration that would be noticeable if it were 4-6 yes the action would change a lot 2 inches not so much

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 09:05PM

I would put a tip on and fish it. Go from there. Not sure of original length though.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 10:08PM

Two piece hotshot? Sounds like a MHX blank, you can get new tips for those at Mudhole I believe.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2017 07:46AM

Send the butt to the manufacturer and ask them to fit a new tip to it. Some will do this, others may find a matching tip and then sell you the entire blank, butt and tip. So you'd wind up with an extra butt section as well, or two complete rods, depending on how you look at it.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2017 03:29PM

The blank in question is a MHX SJ900-2. I'm reluctant to spend the money to ship a section both ways as the blank doesn't cost enough to warrant it. Just happen to like it and often wished it had a "little" stiffer tip at times. Reckon I'll fish it as is, and if feels right, maybe someday I'll have a chance to drive the 4 hours north and have them fit a new tip section.

Warranty and age isn't a question as it was 100% my fault.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2017 07:46PM

Russel, call Mudhole. They have extra tips for all the MHX two and multiple piece blanks. They are not listed in their online catalog so you have to call them. I have the same rod and like to use it to cast 1/4 oz jigs with a grub for speckled trout on sea grass flats. The one piece SJ9000 version is almost identical to the MHX hotshot blank HS9000.
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: June 04, 2017 02:04AM

I broke one of their panfish two-piecers. There was a $15 handling/shipping fee for the replacement. Blank was 15 bucks at mud hole. So as Tom said, I now have two butts for the rod. One cork and one EVA.

This actually happened twice now. I let my son borrow it and one of his friends' relatives broke it. I think a tackle box was thrown on it in the back of the truck. When I got the new tip built, I brought it out to fish and then stepped on it before I ever got the chance! The new tip is on the lathe right now, and now I have one of those mysterious "scrap blanks" to play around and practice with (the third butt section!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster