I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

round guides on a 7-1/2'--3wt fly rod
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 10:21AM

I have committed to building a fly rod for @#$%& to raise money for a local conservation organization. I have learned much about this organization & they do what they say.
I consulted a very experienced local fly fisherman for rod recommendations. He also builds & repairs fly rods.

my idea is to use a Rodgeeks red/white/blue blank fitted with a red/white/blue foam core/graphite full wells style handle

I want to try using round guides. My questions are:
how many guides for a 7-1/2' fly rod
what size round guides from first stripper to tip guide?
comments I have seen on this site lead me to believe ceramic ring guides are slicker & give better distance
Minima 4 guides are at the top of my list, at least for now. Are these good guides for this application or should I use others.

suggestions & comments on guides & the handle appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: round guides on a 7-1/2'--3wt fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2017 11:14AM

The Minima 4 guides are a nice middle ground between snakes and ceramics. They're also very light for their size which is a plus on what I assume will be a light line fly rod.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 11:25AM

Rex:

See Tom K's article on fly rod guide sizing in the library. A link to the article is below:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I'm a traditionalist to a fault; all my fly rods built with agate strippers for 5 weight and below and snake guides for all weights, so cannot help with sizing for ceramics other than to second Tom K's thoughts that when the line to leader and line to backing knots pass easily the guide is large enough.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 02:46PM

because it is a light weight rod I would just use a stone stripping guide and follow that with rsn light duty Chrome Nickel Titanium Frame | Wire Ring snake style guides this will give you a well balanced rod as for the placement of the guides load test will tell you where the sweet spots are for the guides the minima 's are the same just bent in to a loop .
where the difference comes in is the single foot vs the snake dbl foot the action changes slightly because of the wrapping of each guide foot that is where the action is changed it is either softer with single or a touch firmer with the dbl foot and that directly related to the line control when casting

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 05:35PM

Guide wear is seldom if ever an issue on fly rods, even on stripper guides. Snake guides are traditional, light, they look good, and they work. However, there is no accounting for taste. For a true "traditional" look you could use chrome rings dangling from keepers lashed to the rod blank.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2017 12:24AM

Minimas are a good choice for the rod. With the choice of blank and grip, you are obviously not going for a traditionalist look, so go modern...single foot Minimas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster