I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

saving an old rod
Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 23, 2017 07:21PM

a friend of mine has an old shimano fighting rod, the one that tapers right into the handle, its old but he really loves that rod, and the finish is chipping off, you can scratch it off with you thumb nail. He would like to save it and have it refinished, to look new again. so can the finish be just sanded in the areas that are flaking off, or does the whole rod need to be sanded and the old finish removed. then what would you use to re-finish it? all the guides will be off anyway so they can be replaced with newer and better ones that arent cracked or chipped. Hopefully the name and info can just be left in place, otherwise the decals will cost a bunch probably.

any suggestions besides throwing it away or leaving it in the garage?
thank you for the help
T

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saving an old rod
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 08:39PM

He loves for a reason! great rods. I would strip the blank with citri-strip, lightly scothhbrite it, clean it off, and rewrap it. No finish coat required on these blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 09:25PM

These were very good rods, I have a friend who has several and he loves them. Scrape off the old finish being careful not to damage the original lettering on the rod. Then lightly smooth and scuff the rod using a fine scotch brite pad, fine steel wool or 800-1000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Clean it and then give it a clear coat of Permagloss by quickly wiping it on with a foam cosmetic sponge. You can do a search to get a procedure on how to apply Permagloss clear coat. there have been several posts on rodboard during the past couple of years. This should give you a very nice brand new looking finish.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 11:37PM

I rebuilt several of these rods, and essentially removed all of the guides and tip top.
Then, I used heat and a scraper to remove 100 % of all of the finish lettering etc from the rod. Then, I polished the rod with 600 wet and dry paper.
Finally I rewrapped the rod with new guides and tip top and applied rod finish to the wraps.

Then, after drying, I applied a couple of coats of wax on the blank and the fellows just love the rods.

No lettering or markings on the rod of any kind, but it is like a "stealth" rod that the fellows love to use.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 12:44AM

Many people refurbishing a classic rod want to keep the original logo and lettering, others do not. Sounded like your friend wants the original logo and lettering to stay. If he does then stripping the rod and clear coating it is the best way to keep it as original looking as possible even if using modern guides. Permagloss gives a very light, smooth, flexible and durable satin finish that is better than the original clear coat finish. It will look good and last for an very long time. The original rod was was very simply wrapped in black only with no trim. Had a very sleek and clean modern look about it. Oh, by the way the rods not that OLD, I remember when they first came out and it does not seem that long ago!
Norm

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 01:48AM

Early 90s I believe...maybe 1989 even.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 08:48AM

One thought about old lettering or decals.
I suggest you "gently" clean them, mild soap and water is best.
After completely dry, seal with a coat of Flex Coat (or?) color preserver.
Then after that is dry, coat with whatever hard finish is wanted.
The "sealing" assures that the finish coat will not disturb the sometimes delicate decal or lettering underneath.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 11:35AM

Yes, They are great rods. The handle and reel seats are unique. Over the years I have been given a few broken Fightin' Rods and rebuilt them for myself and would never give them up.
Remove all the guides and scrape off the old finish using a utility blade held in your gloved hand starting at the base or grip material and word your way to the tip.
after all finish is removed use a Scotch Brite pad (burgundy in color) to smooth out and high spots or remaining finish. Then use a quality rod finish of your choice to coat the blank. A day later wrap the blank with a new set of modern guides.
Your friend will have new love for an old rod.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 24, 2017 03:32PM

thank you all for the help and wisdom, i will try to get it back for him to enjoy some more. going to try to cover the handles with the shrink tubing stuff, as they are a bit rough and gouged. You are correct i should have said classic not old or maybe well used.

terry

Date: June 16, 2017 02:33PM

Thank you all for the help, i used the permagloss..that stuff really has a smell... but it finally cleared out of the shop. then i have added the flocked shrink tube for the messed up grips, it is really starting to look great again. I was able to save the original decals, with a few scratches for character. I think he will be very happy. did not like the look of the guides i had on hand they were too light of a grey so i ordered new ones today they should arrive monday and i can get it finished up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster