I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone building rod blanks?
Posted by: Darren Bruss (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 08:38AM

Looking for a particular rod blank and wondering if anyone makes blanks on here that would be willing to build me a couple?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone building rod blanks?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:04AM

Any of the manufacturers will be happy to build you a new and unique blank for a moderate 100,000 to 200,000 dollars to take care of the engineering, layout and build costs for a single unique blank.

There are hundreds of thousands of blanks readily available for purchase in warehouses around the world. Why build another one that is different?

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 10:54AM

Darren,
As Roger said it would be an expensive few blanks, with some possible redesigns along the way till you have what you wanted. There would be a minimum order requirement, have no idea what it would be, but the minimum requirement for a run of an existing blank design at Lamiglas was 25 blanks years ago.
With all the blanks out there, I'd be surprised if there isn't something already available, be very specific with your needs and maybe we can help. Others have tried us out and soon had a half dozen suggestions from existing products.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 11:44AM

Talk to Herb Ladenheim. CTS builds one-offs all the time.

Posted by: Darren Bruss (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 12:53PM

Well, I am getting frustrated trying to find the one I want. It is an ice rod and I have yet to find the length, action and power that I want.
I'll keep looking though. If anyone is willing to help out let me know how to contact.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 01:33PM

You might be able to find an existing blank for another application and cut to the length you need.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 02:42PM

Darren - can you describe what you're looking for?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 04:50PM

Darren,
What are you looking for in an ice rod.

I have built hundreds of ice rods and the clients are all very happy.

I have built, short, very short, very very short, medium, long, very long, very light action, light action, medium light action, medium action, medium heavy action, heavy action and x heavy action rods.

i have build hollow glass, hollow graphite, solid glass and solid graphite blanks.

However, in recent years, I will only build on either solid glass or on solid graphite blanks.

Hollow blanks in short lengths are just too fragile for good long term ice rod use.

Be safe

p.s.
I commonly use longer blanks and cut them where needed to achieve the length, power and action that I need to satisfy the rod needs.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 07:07PM

Firsts off what is this blank /rod going to be used for fish type is it for jigging, live bait with a float . dead sticking ,tip down rig.?? and what material do you want it to be ?? as Rodger stated hollow blanks don't hold up to well .
There are several solid glass blanks available from light to x heavy .
So if you could just give a bit more information we would be able to help you with you quest get what you want .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Darren Bruss (107.77.111.---)
Date: May 22, 2017 11:39AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Darren,
> What are you looking for in an ice rod.
>
> I have built hundreds of ice rods and the clients
> are all very happy.
>
> I have built, short, very short, very very short,
> medium, long, very long, very light action, light
> action, medium light action, medium action, medium
> heavy action, heavy action and x heavy action
> rods.
>
> i have build hollow glass, hollow graphite, solid
> glass and solid graphite blanks.
>
> However, in recent years, I will only build on
> either solid glass or on solid graphite blanks.
>
> Hollow blanks in short lengths are just too
> fragile for good long term ice rod use.
>
> Be safe
>
> p.s.
> I commonly use longer blanks and cut them where
> needed to achieve the length, power and action
> that I need to satisfy the rod needs.

Looking for a Heavy ice rod 40" or more in length that can handle 50+ pound fish.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 22, 2017 02:41PM

Darren, there is a guy located in White Haven, PA that builds custom rods and he rolls his own blanks. They have a website, it's Lehigh Fishing Co. He might be able to help.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2017 01:51AM

Looking for a Heavy ice rod 40" or more in length that can handle 50+ pound fish

I would use this one and just cut it down from both ends 2-3 off the tip and the rest off the butt

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster