I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fast action vs. moderate action
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 07:30AM

All of the rods I've built so far have moderates. I haven't built a fast action rod so far partly because of the fact that I've read and told that they are a bit more difficult to cast. Any flaws in technique will show up and a certain amount of frustration will show up as a result.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fast action vs. moderate action
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2017 08:24AM

Not true. If they are difficult to cast it's because the angler has chosen the wrong line for the rod. If you have the right line on the rod for the distances you cast, they're just as easy as any other rod to cast.

Remember that most fly rod manufacturers intend their fast action rods to be cast very long distances and therefore the rated line is used when a lot of line is carried in the air. If you're fishing in closer, go up a line size, or two.

Date: May 21, 2017 08:57AM

Thanks for the insight Tom. Some one once said to me that fast actions would point out where the flaws are in your casting. Never mind fast action with soft tips. I won't shy away from fast actions.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 11:27AM

As a side note, fly fishers who do not want to double-haul or have no need to double haul where they fish have no particular need for a fast-action fly rod.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 11:45AM

Give your brain some credit and give a faster action rod a try. You might enjoy it. Yes, your casting tempo will need to change just a wee bit, but if you relax, shorten the stroke and up the tempo ever so slightly you'll get it very quickly. In fact, don't even think about it. Just take your cues from the feel of the rod and shape of the loops and your brain will do the rest if you let it.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 02:17PM

"Some one once said to me that fast actions would point out where the flaws are in your casting."

Well,....

We have transitioned from typically more moderate action fiberglass rods to usually stiffer faster action graphite rods.

It is the overall stiffness of the rod that may cause timing errors in the cast. It takes little time to adjust to the different casting characteristics.

Using a heavier sinker or lure will also point out flaws in your casting.

Was the question specific to fly rods?

Don Becker

Date: May 21, 2017 04:50PM

It's not the reason I have avoided fast action rods. I mentioned something about timing and the flaws and they agreed with me so I came away with the belief that fast action was to be avoided. To honest I have some problem fishing clouser minnows especially on the back end of the cast because the is kinda jarring...not at all smooth. I keep fishing them and the cast 25 or so feet but that's it. I can't really cast some of the longer distances 30/35 feet is a good cast for me. I tend to be use my wrist more than my arm and wrist together
plus the more I build the less I seem to fish.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 05:34PM

The rod needs to be matched to the caster. A fly caster who does not haul can not cast more than 50' and probably has a sore arm and shoulder at the end of the day - caused by trying to "muscle" the cast, not by the weight of the line or the rod. A medium action, or better yet a slow action rod may encourage such fly casters to slow down, save their strength, and reduce fatigue in their arms and shoulders.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 05:40PM

Hi Robert,

If I understand this correctly, you are trying to cast soft bait and it is tearing off during the cast.

If that is the case, a moderate action fiberglass blank will help. Also, a longer blank will be helpful.

For bait casting, the optimum cast would start off slowly and build speed at a consistent rate.
Changing the casting style may be required.

Don Becker

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 06:13PM

Since Clousers are weighted flies they are difficult to cast using a light moderate action fly rod. A faster heavier weight fly rod will work much better with out the line collapsing on the cast. Sounds like your fly rod is far too light for the fly being used and your cast is collapsing. A 6 wgt fly will cast a relatively light Clouser without much of a problem, However, for most Clouser fishing I like using either a fast action 7 or 8 wgt fly rod. The more powerful the fly rod is the more weight it can control without being overloaded and having the cast collapse.
Norm

Date: May 21, 2017 06:37PM

Thanks Norm I'll keep practicing. I like to fishem and have caught some nice bass with them. I'll have to build up a rod that is up to the task.:-]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:53PM

There are other reasons one may like a fast action rod, other than single or double hauling! I fish a lot from drift boats and find that a fast action rod will pick up and lay down (one cast) 40 feet of line where a moderate or slow action rod is too slow and limber for the task. When drifting rivers like the Madison or Green, you often have a one cast opportunity, and a fast action rod is superb for this.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:53PM

There are other reasons one may like a fast action rod, other than single or double hauling! I fish a lot from drift boats and find that a fast action rod will pick up and lay down (one cast) 40 feet of line where a moderate or slow action rod is too slow and limber for the task. When drifting rivers like the Madison or Green, you often have a one cast opportunity, and a fast action rod is superb for this.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2017 08:06PM

I'm seeing action and recovery time used in this discussion interchangably I think. They are not the same thing, Sage has made a great number of fast and faster actioned blanks that would be characterized as moderate action blanks in this discussion. Rainshadow and others also. They are simply a lower powered example of a given power rating by the manufacturer, they have just as fast a tip if not faster than others made by the same manufacturer rated for the same line weight. I'm convinced rod action has nothing to do with how well a person can cast a rod as a beginner and all to do with the actual ERN value of the blank for a given line rating and the materials the blank is made from.
My 1994 GLX 6 weight is a good example, light, fast recovery, middle of the road on the CC scale for a 6 weight, will throw an entire line with many different lines, and also an easy rod to teach someone on, unlike the earlier Loomis IMX rods with the stiffer tips.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 01:30AM

I think we need to clarify that we're talking about fly rods here. "clouser" is the clue. :)

do not fear the faster actioned rod. and the double haul. especially when throwing clousers. it's all in the timing. a moderate/medium "action" rod wiht a fast recovery may be a solution, i do not know.

many advertisements trumpet extra fast actioned rods are for the more experienced. this may be one of the sources of the myth. but remember, we are one of the most adaptable species on the planet. those advertisements assume you cast with a medium or medium-action rod and so may have difficulty changing your casting speed. it's all in the timing. try one out, build up a faster action rod, and you'll see it becomes a useful tool under certain circumstances. throwing big clousers, dealing with wind, fishing from a constantly moving drift boat, etc.

disclaimer: i'm no expert, but i've been throwing clousers for bass. in wind. with an 8wt 9 foot rod. double hauling, for about 4 years. it's a very different stroke from my slower actioned rods for trout in sierra streams

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2017 10:21PM

Get Bit has the St. Croix Clouser blank at a great price. Only cast one once, wasn't what I'd call a difficult rod to fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster