I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foregrip gap
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: May 21, 2017 02:23AM

A little nervous about this.

I don't even think I reamed this grip in question, it was an extra I had and it seemed to fit just right. It slid down to about 6 inches above its final resting place and wouldn't go further without a good amount of force. I applied the epoxy to get it going the rest of the way, and when I had it all glued up, I noticed there was about a 1/16-1/32 inch gap on the tip end of the grip. I used a craft/popsicle stick to try and shove epoxy down into it, and then applied a big gob right above it. I tried my best to get the winding check to shove more down in there.

Obviously the whole thing isn't loose or it would've slid further down on the dry fit. It's a 20-50 pound rod with a 10 inch foregrip. It's a Rainshadow RCLB70M extra fast tip, so shouldn't flex much in the handle region. Going to be used with 30 pound line and 10 pounds of drag. Is this thing doomed for failure?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foregrip gap
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 05:52AM

Randy,
It is a wonderful rod that will give you years of great fishing.
Enjoy it and move on.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 08:32AM

Sounds like cork, right? I expect it will work fine. But there is one thing you can do next time to make sure the cork doesn't split from the radial force imparted by the very tight fit to the blank, and that is to keep reaming (with close to the proper taper) until it needs very little force to seat it into the right position. Some cork isn't that strong in tension and may split when forced into position. The epoxy will cut the coefficient of friction allowing it to be moved, but it will not cut the radial forces.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:02AM

If it is EVA, consider that at 10" long, and it stopped 6" from it's final spot, that the upper 4" would be too loose.
You might be OK if you got some epoxy into the void.
One solution would be to use an injection needle to send some liquid epoxy into that area.
From the front gap if you can, or thru it from the outside.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:05AM

If you seat a grip or a fore grip, ream until the piece is a slip fit in to its final place and you will never have such an issue in the future.

Good luck

Date: May 21, 2017 11:00AM

Roger, and everyone, thanks for the tips. I have been doing this for a while, but still dont have enough builds under my belt to be an expert, I learn something new (too often from mistakes that worry me) on every build I do. This is EVA. Didn't consider the train of thought above by Ron. I just assumed that if it stopped short in the dry fit, it would be nice and snug once I lubed it with epoxy and drove it home.

Can someone explain how you go about using the syringe method through the grip? Do you just stick it through? Drill a pilot hole? I don't have any sharp ones, just some ones I used to use for refilling inkjet cartridges.

Live and learn. Heres hoping on Roger's first response! I painted the blank white, and got that part right. Just a 2K clear coat over white primer, wet sanded and polished, and it looks great!

Date: May 21, 2017 11:21AM

*edited*

This question was answered above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 12:57PM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 12:57PM

You can get injection type (like doctors use) at medical supply places.
Maybe at larger pharmacys.
It will be slim enough at the tip that it should go thru the gap.
That will be the cleanest way and least noticeable.
If you are going to try to clean it for future use, I would use regular cure 2 part liquid epoxy.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster