I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No epoxy issues here!
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 20, 2017 08:58PM

I'm sometimes tough on people with epoxy issues, mixed equal parts of part B today - #%it happens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No epoxy issues here!
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 20, 2017 11:43PM

Never done that....................I like to do it with "A"

Posted by: Lawrence Hale (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 21, 2017 08:25AM

I've done it with both...... :-(

Posted by: Bret Surrage (---.dsl.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 09:16PM

thanks for sharing we are all human, just finishing my 4th build and the finish has been my down fall.. Everyone on here seems to do amazing work and that's where I am striving to get to.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2017 01:56AM

Bret,
If finish has been your downfall, enlist the help of another builder that does not have finish issues and do some finish work under his/her guidance.

A good teacher can quickly spot issues and give guidance to correct such issues.

Be safe

The problem when teaching your self is that you keep making the same mistakes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2017 02:01AM

Bret,
If you are having finish issues, take an old rod from the salvation or scrap bin and do a bunch of test wraps on the rod. You don't even need to put guides on the rod. Just do thread wraps on the rod. Then, take a few days and try different finish application and clean up techniques, until you have a system figured out for yourself that you can use on new rod builds and have excellent repeatable results.

Once you have a good working system with perfect results - stick with it.

it may mean special mixing techniques, special finish application, adding heat now and then, using a piece of aluminum to spread the finish to slow the "kick time" of the finish or some or none of these techniques for yourself.

Try, try, test, retest and finalize your methods and then stick with it for your next rod builds. Then, as you build more rods, if you find ways to do even better, remember and use them - and abandon things that don't work well for you.

check library, you tube videos, other on line videos, manufacturers web sites, help sites etc. All can be educational.

Be safe

Posted by: Stanley Thurman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2017 11:02PM

Thanks to everyone here for such a great history of tips.

Finished my first wrap finish. So far so good. After 2hrs, no footballs, peaks or valleys. Was worried I wasn't putting enough on so I added more until I got a slight sag on the bottom and then removed. Hope by tomorrow morning it dries correctly and not sticky or anything.

The finish brings out my beginner wrappings. Need to work more on that. Guide Wraps looked good even under a magnifying glass, but the finish really brings out some mistakes I made such as bumps with tie offs and some bird nesting from frayed threads. Already baught a new blank and guides to practice with. Got the cheapest blank kit I could find for practicing techniques.

Thanks for such a great forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster