I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with grip reaming
Posted by: stacy white (---.sub-70-195-192.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2017 10:06AM

hello, I am building a saltwater rod and the butt of my rod is little less than one inch.. my butt grip is 14 inch long 3/4 id, my xl reamer is too small any suggestions on how to evenly ream it out for the larger diameter without making it uneven an sloppy ..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with grip reaming
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 19, 2017 10:35AM

Cork? EVA? If it's EVA, use the rubber cement method......never ream again.

Date: May 19, 2017 10:42AM

its eva grip alreeady had cut one grip off because i thought i reamed it out enough an it stopped shy of 10 inches from going all way down..

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 11:01AM

Hello Stacy.

How are you installing the grip?

When I install a saltwater grip on a 1" blank with a grip reamed to 3/4" I drop the grip down on to the blank while holding it upright and mark where the grip stops on the blank, I then apply epoxy (I use Rod Bond) the whole length from 6" above the mark to the end of the butt, slide the grip down to the epoxy and then grip the grip at the tip end so air wont come out as you slide the grip down the blank, and slide it down in one quick push.

I usually do this on a covered hard surface (I use newspaper) where I can push down on it hard and yet not worry about getting epoxy on the surface (because you will if not covered).

Wear latex gloves to keep the epoxy off your hands and clean any (and there will be some) epoxy that gets on the outside of the grip.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 11:06AM

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Tried to force a 3/4 inch ID EVA grip onto a 1" butt blank. Even with epoxy lubrication I could not get it to fit. I found a broken rod in my stash that had the appropriate diameter and made another reamer. I spiral wrapped a half inch strip of sandpaper to he blank using contact cement, which holds up to the heat generated by reaming. Worked well. If you have a long 7/8" long drill bit it will also work if you go slow. If the drill is too short to go all the way through the grip drill from both ends.
Norm

Date: May 19, 2017 12:23PM

thanks guys. idk what made it not go but i did exactly as you described robert an it came to dead halt. thanks for the great idea norm. ill make me one like that.. jist wonder why they dont make any larger reamers than whats on market for the larger butt blanks.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-214.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2017 12:33PM

You can make your own reamer. Here is how:

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2017 01:18PM

Do as John says and build yourself a larger reamer. It'll help you get this build correct and you'll no doubt find use for it again in the future. Build a set of them while you're at it.

Posted by: stacy white (---.static.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 01:31PM

thanks guys , much apreciated i will be building some great info advice

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 02:18PM

I've put 3/4" EVA on 1" OD blanks with no problem since using the J Trekiles method using rubber cement. There is a you tube video that describes/demonstrates the method. I could not copy the link for some reason. Just search YouTube for " video using rubber cement to install rod grips." Works real slick (pun intended :) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 02:22PM by Robert Hummel.

Posted by: stacy white (---.sub-70-195-214.myvzw.com)
Date: May 19, 2017 04:18PM

thanks very much very much for all tbe great info you guys shared ... very aprciated thanks a milliion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 10:16PM by stacy white.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 09:26PM

Stacy,
I have never tried to stretch EVA and have not been sorry.

I just ream out the EVA, exactly the same way that I would ream a more solid grip. Slip the grip on the rod with a good layer of glue under the grip and wipe off the excess.

It is no big deal to ream EVA or any other grip material for that matter.

Enjoy.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 19, 2017 09:38PM

I'm amazed....anybody look at the video yet? It's worth saying once more, never ream EVA again....and be careful or you will push the grip right off the blank. It's a game changer shared by a great builder. And thanks Robert Hummel for crediting JT.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 10:41PM

I build very few rods using EVA so I am not aware of some of tricks involved in with their installation. So I was curious about the rubber cement method for installing EVA grips mentioned above by both Grant and Robert. Here is a link to the method, did not find a video but did not look very hard after finding this. The next time I install an EVA grip I will try it. Thanks Grant and Robert.
[www.bdoutdoors.com]
Norm

Posted by: stacy white (---.sub-70-195-214.myvzw.com)
Date: May 20, 2017 04:05PM

excelent link norman thanks

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2017 11:48PM

All you need to do is ut teh chamfer edge and use enouhg epoxy so it slides down, no problemo. If you are using normal sized blanks reaming solid color EVA is silly, just buy all the sizes of EVA and use the right size. If oyu are doing inlays, you have to ream, Bill SAltdawg found out the hard way that method he used doesn't work on inlayed grips, when the grip he spent many hours on split apart durign installiation.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2017 05:55AM

If you always ream a grip for the perfect fit of the grip to the blank, you never have grip issues and you never have installation issues, no matter the grip material or grip design.

Enjoy your time building rods and as always use the method to build the rod that you want to build in the way that gives YOU the most satisfaction and the best possible rod for you and the person for who you are building the rod.

Enjoy.

Date: May 27, 2017 11:54AM

thanks everyone you folks have been a great help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster