I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

H&H Fiberglass 7' 3wt First Build & Review
Posted by: Brad Striebig (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2017 04:58PM

Greetings!

I've been reading and learning quite a bit on the forum. I appreciate the wealth of information. I recently finished my first build - what I consider a prototyping process or a learning build. I used the H&H 7.0 3wt base orange colored fiberglass rod from H&H. The crew at H&H were extremely helpful in ordering materials and making recommendations where I had questions. In all, the build process was much easily and less time consuming than expected. With H&H's help, the customized handle and reel seat I chose fit perfectly with the blank.

The blank itself is quite a bit more formidable than other glass rods I've used. Once built, I found the tip to be very soft, but the base to be bulky and rigid. This is pretty much what I expected. I was looking for something usable for the first build, not necessarily something that would be my main combo.

Once built, I've been able to test it in several circumstances. I'm using a pre-war Ocean City reel for sentimental reasons. I used the SA Heritage line also for sentiment, as I was going for the look of something one might have encountered 40 or 50 years ago. The rod look some getting used to, as the action is completely different than the commercial glass (same size and weight) I typically cast. A bit frustrating at first, but with a bit of practice, I found it could really zing the dry flies. This is really set up as a dry fly combo, and for that purpose it exceeds my expectations. I was also presently surprise to find it cast and fished a nymph combination quite well - again, considering the price-point. The water in our areas is a bit high still and streamers are not this combo's strength, it was possible to force some drifts, but it was a LOT of work to move the streamers. Again, no surprise here.

With the soft tip and firm base it played the trout quite well - no complaints there, again likely exceeding my expectations.

So, all-in-all the rod-building process, assistance from H&H, and the finished combo exceeded my expectations for a rod that was built for about $100. I also am hooked on the rod-building process and have order 2 different blanks to build for/with my kids. There also will be moderate action all-purpose combos for the small streams we fish. Thanks to everyone here and at H&H for the help! Having a great time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster