I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thread Unraveling... (UPDATED WITH VIDEO)
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 08:19PM

Burnish from the ends of the wrap to the middle, and not so vigerously.
pull on the tag end after you pull it through to create a small gap in the thread then make shure you keep the blade straite up and cut the tag and push the gap closed with your
burnishing tool.

Curt

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 09:26PM

Im no expert and some of this may have been mentioned but my opinion is:
-main problem: use different pull loop (I use 10lb Nanofil fishing line). it's possible the thick mono is causing a loose wrap and then unraveling during the burnish because of it.
-loosen up thread tension a tad
-make sure wrap is tighter which would need less burnishing

Disclaimer: I watched the video on my phone and may have missed something.

Re: Thread Unraveling...
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 15, 2017 09:38PM

You can't be having the rod held so loose in the wrapper. It's rolling back on you a lot. Never seen one of those but it must be able to keep a firm grip on the rod?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 10:08PM

X10 on Grant's comments.

The drag setting on the blank should be greater than any pull back tension that is being placed on the blank by the thread. i.e. you should be able to let go of the blank and the thread should stay tight.

However, this may vary from wrapper to wrapper. Some folks prefer to use no drag at all on the blank to allow minimum force when spinning the rod for wrapping. Thus the blank drag is a personal preference.

p.s.
One of the reasons that I prefer to use a high quality power wrapper. There is no give in the drive on the rod blank. When the blank stops - it stops right there and will not rotate forward or backward without power. Hence, it is easy to do thread cutting and thread pulling without ever having to worry about blank rolling fore or back.

Be safe

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2017 11:43PM

Too much tension on the thread. Use smaller pull thread, scrap thread will work tied in a loop. No need to burnish so hard.

Posted by: Kelly Dow (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2017 12:29AM

Thanks all for the replies! I took many of the suggestions here and practiced some more with MUCH better results. I loosened the tension quite a bit (but still gave it a decent amount). I also made sure I had nice tight wrap in my starting x-over, I may not have been putting enough tension at the start causing a loose start wrap. I also switched to scissors and used thread for the pull-through instead of that thick mono. Finally, I gave my pull through more of a swift tug instead of slow pressure. All of this seemed to create much better wraps. Also, I use the burnishing tool very lightly and the wraps seem to be holding much better. Only way they unravel is if I go too heavy with the burnisher. Thanks again for all of the replies, it is truly appreciated. I'll keep practicing!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 12:30AM by Kelly Dow.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2017 08:21AM

Kelly, glad it is coming together for you, I'll just add a couple of comments if I may?

I start my wraps the same way you are. But I take the tag end of the thread around the blank a couple of times before taping it to the blank. With you only doing what appears to be one wrap around the blank with your tag line, it may be slipping on you a bit.

The second thing I noticed is you're packing your wrap down hill, towards the tip and a smaller diameter of the blank. Pack your wraps up hill towards the start of the wrap. Now if you're wrapping a double foot guide you'll be packing your wrap down hill so be vigilant. As soon as you see a gap, pack it. Don't be in a hurry to do your wraps fast. Be in a hurry to do them right, Which means slow down.

I recently went to a power wrapper, so I know the meaning of needing to slow down. lol I'll get better the more I use my power wrapper, and you'll get better the more you use your wrapper.

As others have said, your pull through is too large in diameter. As someone mentioned, you can use pieces of your wrapping thread to make a pull through. Or any of the smaller diameter super lines others have mentioned. Personally I use some old 10# Power Pro that I pulled off a spinning reel after I found out I really don't like braided line on spinning gear. lol

Anyhow ..... if you use thread to make your pull through, take care in giving it the quick snap pull that you mentioned. You can break the pull through before the thread pulls through. You do that and you're starting the wrap all over again.

As others said, it looked like you had too much tension on the thread in your video. I pull my pull through in slowly. Also, even when using my hand wrapper my rod would not budge when I pull my pull loop. Anchor it better. As Roger said, the power wrapper makes it so it won't budge, but I had it so it wouldn't budge in the hand wrapper I built.

I see you're getting a power wrapper. Don't expect it to make things easier at first. It will somewhat because you can easily position the rod stands anywhere you want in relationship to where you're wrapping. But it isn't going to make your wraps any prettier, or any tighter. Practice is what is going to make you better. It's kind of like you have have the best rod in the world, but the rod isn't going to help you catch fish if there aren't any there.

Anyhow ...... sounds like you're getting there. Keep at it!

Posted by: Kelly Dow (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2017 06:28PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kelly, glad it is coming together for you, I'll
> just add a couple of comments if I may?
>
> I start my wraps the same way you are. But I take
> the tag end of the thread around the blank a
> couple of times before taping it to the blank.
> With you only doing what appears to be one wrap
> around the blank with your tag line, it may be
> slipping on you a bit.
>
> The second thing I noticed is you're packing your
> wrap down hill, towards the tip and a smaller
> diameter of the blank. Pack your wraps up hill
> towards the start of the wrap. Now if you're
> wrapping a double foot guide you'll be packing
> your wrap down hill so be vigilant. As soon as you
> see a gap, pack it. Don't be in a hurry to do your
> wraps fast. Be in a hurry to do them right, Which
> means slow down.
>
> I recently went to a power wrapper, so I know the
> meaning of needing to slow down. lol I'll get
> better the more I use my power wrapper, and you'll
> get better the more you use your wrapper.
>
> As others have said, your pull through is too
> large in diameter. As someone mentioned, you can
> use pieces of your wrapping thread to make a pull
> through. Or any of the smaller diameter super
> lines others have mentioned. Personally I use some
> old 10# Power Pro that I pulled off a spinning
> reel after I found out I really don't like braided
> line on spinning gear. lol
>
> Anyhow ..... if you use thread to make your pull
> through, take care in giving it the quick snap
> pull that you mentioned. You can break the pull
> through before the thread pulls through. You do
> that and you're starting the wrap all over again.
>
>
> As others said, it looked like you had too much
> tension on the thread in your video. I pull my
> pull through in slowly. Also, even when using my
> hand wrapper my rod would not budge when I pull my
> pull loop. Anchor it better. As Roger said, the
> power wrapper makes it so it won't budge, but I
> had it so it wouldn't budge in the hand wrapper I
> built.
>
> I see you're getting a power wrapper. Don't expect
> it to make things easier at first. It will
> somewhat because you can easily position the rod
> stands anywhere you want in relationship to where
> you're wrapping. But it isn't going to make your
> wraps any prettier, or any tighter. Practice is
> what is going to make you better. It's kind of
> like you have have the best rod in the world, but
> the rod isn't going to help you catch fish if
> there aren't any there.
>
> Anyhow ...... sounds like you're getting there.
> Keep at it!

Thank you sir for the notes! I will take them all to heart. :)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2017 08:16AM

A couple comments-if you are able to pull through with 1/4 inch of overlap then you don't have as much tension as you think you have. It would break. But, on the video, the deflection of the blank and the effort of the pull through both indicate excessive tension. And, it's hard to evaluate on the video, but are you actually cutting with a razor blade against the blank? You may damage the blank and you also may be damaging the thread.

My recommendation: Go back to the basics, lighten up on the tension, keep the wrap going continuously with no backing up, use a reasonable number of overwraps for the pull-through, cut parallel to the blank, not against it, (if you lightly put tension on the cut-off thread it will open the wrap a little, carefully cut parallel to the blank, and the end will be swallowed under the wrap) use either regular wrap thread or light mono (some use fine braid) for your pull-through loop, (if these break, you are using too much tension), LIGHTLY burnish and pack (if you need to to more then you are not wrapping precisely enough). Don't get discouraged, but keep practicing with reasonable tensions and a light hand on the process, and in time it will most likely come together OK.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: May 17, 2017 01:13PM

One minor thing I noticed is something I had trouble with when I started is that after your initial few wraps you were taking the burnishing tool to tighten the gaps, but were tightening toward the smaller taper of the rod. This too will loosen the threads by moving them to a smaller diameter of the blank. I try to burnish towards the larger taper if possible. I also tried the pull loops you are using that they sell and have tossed them. They are too large for this IMHO.I use power pro super slick braid 10 Lb in Hi-Vis yellow for my pull loops. This is small in diameter and pulls through without breaking like thread loops will. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 05:30PM

Try watching this video
[www.youtube.com]

1 You should use the tension rod (judging by how hard is was to pull your loop - you have way too much tension right off the spool)
2. Use a smaller pull loop.
3. Change the angle of the razor blade to parallel to the blank (you seemed to cut the other threads).
4. Burnish with less pressure.

More of our new videos on rod building can be found here:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.lnse5.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 19, 2017 10:25PM

Hi Kelly,
try burnishing only toward the butt end of the rod, the blank is thicker and will actually make the wrap tighter, wiggling your burnishing left to right will only push the thread to the tip end which the blank is thinner and will unwrap.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster