I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hook keeper location
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 07:57AM

Good morning all!
I have built many spinning rods for family and friends, and have always located the hook keeper on the left side of the rod close to the fore grip. Now I am building my first bait casting rod and I am unsure if the same location would be ok for a hook keeper on a casting rod. Since I have never fished a casting rod I'm not sure what what would be the best out of the way spot for the keeper , but keep it handy and useful. What do the casting rod builders / users prefer?
Thanks
Rog

Re: hook keeper location
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2017 08:05AM

I don't often use them but when I do I generally put the keeper in whatever location will keep the line from hanging on it. On a spinning rod I go low, so any errant wrap of line will simply fall off of it. Casting rods are a bit different. I still like the bottom position, but if the line somehow flips around there and comes taut, it will then hang on the keeper. I'm sure you'll get some good ideas from other guys who use keepers more than I do. Plus, different styles are better than others depending on the circumstance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 09:02AM

I've tried a number of locations and found the bottom, 180 degrees, in front of the reel seat the best for avoiding the line. 90 degrees is the worst, based on my experience. Both spin and cast.

Just behind the seat has been recommended to keep the hooks, farther from any boat storage sock problems, but I don't care for it. The hooks are nearer the hands.

As for style I really like the large REC keeper. If you want it to work for drop shot put it on facing the rear. If not, facing the front. They are tough, almost invisible, and corrosion proof. Most keepers are stainless, but from what I've found, not a great grade of stainless unless it is stated what the formulation is.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: May 14, 2017 09:19AM

I still like the no hook keeper idea that Rich Forhan came up with, he drilled a 1/8 inch hole the the reel seat trigger. If you do it far enough down the trigger the hook point is covered, and I usually don't carry my rods palming the reel, so my hand isn't there anyway. Any second hooks, lead heads, lure bodies, etc. are now smacking the nylon reel seat instead of the rod blank.

Posted by: Larry Majkrzak (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 11:41AM

I am sure there is no "right" answer to this question, it's based on preference, but I'll tell you how I do it. I usually put the hook keeper on my rods on the same side as the reel handle that will be used. I also don't use foreground so I set pretty close to the reel seat. Then I have it angled at about 30 degrees or so from it even horizontal point either on top for a spinning reel or the bottom for a baitcaster, if that makes sense? I fish a lot for bass, muskie, and pan fish and have never got hung up on my hook keeper.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: May 14, 2017 04:39PM

Spiral or conventional guide layout?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 09:15PM

M2C I always add a hook keeper as that was the school of thought from my mentors back many years ago as it dresses up the transition point from the handle to the blank as versed using a winding check some say a winding check is necessary I don't as for the hook keeper I keep it about 3/4 -1 inch from the fore grip nub with the same wrap theme as the guides so that there isn't a possibility of the line getting caught on it.
to me winding checks are for a poorly reamed handle component where you have a gap to cover.
I have always taken the time to fit it so that it is snug with a bit of a larger ream from the backside so you get a good glue up yea it is a bit time consuming but I think it shows the ability of the builder . as it should never be about how fast you get it built but how well it is built and the looks of the finished product . like I said It is my 2 cents on hook keepers and the placement and the reason I always use them

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 12:05AM

right handed or left handed , what hand do you carry the rod in makes a difference to me . as I carry the rod I will use the other hand to unhook the fly , bait, lure ,
so that is the side I put the hook keeper on, 50 to 60 deg from top dead center , that is what I use , wrong or right that is how I do it , use the same method on all types of rods . fly,spin,cast,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2017 08:44AM

I'm like Michael in that I put it on the bottom of the blank away from the reel. I actually put it in the same place on a spinning rod as well. Never had a problem with line hanging up on a hook keeper on either type of rod.

If you're building the rod for someone I'd try and see how they hold the rod when fishing. I do as Mathew does and position the keeper about an inch ahead of the end of the fore grip, if the rod has one, or the nub at the front of the reel seat if there is no fore grip. That works fine for me, but some people may hold their rod differently or have larger hands than I.

Date: May 15, 2017 09:41AM

conventional

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 10:01AM

On casting rod we like to put a 1 ft hook-keeper on the underside of the butt end of the butt (stripper) guide.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2017 01:29PM

Ron, that sounds intriguing. Unconventional as all get out, but very intriguing. I have an old factory rod that I'm refurbishing. I'm thinking I'll give it a try.

Thanks for sharing that idea!!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 10:12PM

David,
If I am building a split grip rod, I always put the hook keeper an inch in front of the butt cap at 60 degrees to the blank rotation from the guides and on the side of the rod that is on the side of the rod such that it is accessible by the free hand of the angler when he is carrying the rod.

i.e. if it is a right hander, I will put the hook keeper on the lower left side of the blank.

If it is a left hander, I will put the hook keeper on the lower right side of the blank.

If it is a conventional spinning or casting rod, I will put the hook keeper 1 inch in front of the fore grip or reel seat if no fore grip, on the same lower right or left side of the blank - depending on the favored hand of the angler.

Always want to be able to grab your rod, and then use your free hand to grab the hook or lure to go to work without putting down or switching hands holding the rod.

Be safe

Date: May 16, 2017 07:49PM

Thanks for all of the ideas!
Interesting idea Ron S.!
Rog

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (108.170.3.---)
Date: May 18, 2017 08:03PM

On a Standard casting Rod I always put the hook keeper on the side so that when you lay it down on the boat deck the lure does not get all hooked up in the carpet. If I am going to build a split grip Rod do just the opposite and put the hook keeper on the bottom just because of the looks and I like it better that way.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2017 02:04PM

I don't use one. Instead I put the hook in the reel seat along side the reel foot. This obviously doesn't work for all hooks and lures but all I have to please is myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster