I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scale for weighing blanks
Posted by: Kelly Dow (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 10:33AM

Hello all! I am a new member and first-time poster. I just entered the rod building game so I am going to have a TON of questions I'm sure, lol. I've already had the majority of my early questions answered here just by searching these forums. One question I had that I couldn't quite get a clear answer on here was in regards to weighing a blank. I am going to be building fly rods exclusively, just for friends and myself really. I have a small digital scale that will work perfectly for weighing components, etc. but not so much for blanks as blanks are too long. I've read on here that a float scale is a good way to measure blank weight but I was wondering if there were digital scales that can do it effectively? I am not sure how float scales work and they seem to be hard to come by unless I order from a car parts site. I'd like to be able to get accurate weights of completed rods so I can scribe the info on the rod. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. This forum is amazing and the contributions you members make to guide newbies and vets alike is paramount to our success. Thanks again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scale for weighing blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2017 11:08AM

You can do it with a digital scale. Stand the blank on its butt end and with a finger keep it as nearly vertical as you can. The more vertical the less effect your stabilizing finger will have on the final weight reading. This may not get you to an accurate 3rd decimal point, but it'll be more than good enough for 1 or maybe 2.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 11:12AM

Just balance your rod on the scale you have should work just fine.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 11:21AM

Amazom.com has a lot listed , As Norman stated balance on the pan & it should do a good job for you ,
BALANCE is what you need

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 13, 2017 11:35AM

Awesome gentlemen, thanks for the input! Sounds much easier to do than i tried to make it!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 12:02PM

I have used a carburetor float scale for years and it is extremely accurate, simple and inexpensive.

[www.autozone.com]

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 02:13PM

You can pick up a digital postal scale at Wal-Mart for about $10. I've checked mine over and over again with a 500 grain standard and the things' dead nuts accurate.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 02:19PM

My wife has 2 kitchen scales and what everyone says is right.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 05:29PM

Turn on the digital scale, set a small flower vase on the scale, tare the display to zero and insert the rod or pieces into the vase. Now you have the weight of the blank or rod.

Date: May 13, 2017 10:22PM

Brilliant! Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster