I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky blank question
Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-70-198-41.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2017 10:31PM

I have an odd request from a customer. He is wanting a xxxx heavy 8'4" fast rod for his style of fishing Is this possible? My best thought was to get a 9' xx heavy blanks and cut 8" off the tip end to come to the desired rod. Any opinions would be great

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky blank question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 12:28AM

Cutting a blank anywhere won't isn't going to increase the power. The tip will only get stiffer and the blank slower by cutting the tip. Don't be afraid to use a graphite or composite saltwater blank to get what you want. Had my choice I'd extend a blank 4 inches instead of cut 8 inches off.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 01:09AM

I build a lot of musky rods and most are 30 -65 lb for line and occasionally I get one that wants a pool cue
I suggest either of these 2 blank to fill the request more than ever will be needed

from rod geeks

Musky Rod Series - MKY86HF

$129.00
Blank Color Options
Quantity

8'6" | Mono. Line Wgt: 30 - 65 lb. | Lure Weight: 4 - 10 oz. | Fast Action, Heavy Power

Musky Rod Series - MKY86XHF
$139.00
Blank Color Options
Quantity

8'6" | Mono. Line Wgt: 50 - 100 lb. | Lure Weight: 8 - 16 oz. | Fast Action, Extra-Heavy Power

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.ntc.charlottesville.shentel.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 06:20AM

XXXXH rating means nothing and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. What is the intended use of the rod?

The best big bait rod I've found is the Premier (RodGeeks) XH with a couple inches trimmed off the tip. It will throw 16oz and barely flex.

FYI, it's hard to keep fish pinned with such a stiff rod.

Jeremy

Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-70-198-41.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 07:43AM

Jeremy Wagner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> XXXXH rating means nothing and I'm pretty sure it
> doesn't exist. What is the intended use of the
> rod?
>
> The best big bait rod I've found is the Premier
> (RodGeeks) XH with a couple inches trimmed off the
> tip. It will throw 16oz and barely flex.
>
> FYI, it's hard to keep fish pinned with such a
> stiff rod.
>
>
> Jeremy

He has a certain fishing technique he uses. He has won many events on the pmtt so I did not question him. St croix used to make a 7' 6" xxxx heavy musky rod He wants basically the same thing just longer So I'm trying to get him a new one. I'm interested in this Rodgeeks rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 09:54AM

American Tackle Bushido GT Popping rod blanks are 8 1/2 ft. long and the XXH has a lure weight to 22 oz. Haven't been around this series much, but if they are anything like the older Viper series, there are some seriously stout sticks there.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 10:01AM

then there is this one from mxh light saltwater

MU108XXH-MHX 9'0" 1 50-100 5-16 Mod-Fast XX-Hvy 7.1 .75 10 $150.00

and this one from Bushido
Bushido BP86600 Popping Rod Blank
(0) SKU: #BP86600

$175.05
8'6" | 80-130 lb. | 12 - 24 oz. | Mod-Fast Action | 2X Heavy Power | Telescopic Piece | 10.0 Tip | 0.789 Butt

He is wanting a rod that isn't made you can come close but a 4 x rod not the one above is a flipping stick design
what ever blank you choose remember if you opt to cut it down make sure you can find a tip top to fit .
all the pool cue rods out there are 2 x at best Good luck with pleasing the customer as he probably will not be happy unless it is the same as what he had no matter what information you impart to him.
the only thing I can think of that would be of that power would be a stand up boat rod and they are only 6 ft and that is the longest I have seen
The only thing he wants the length for is to figure 8 at boat side any of the rods I have posted will fit but as Jeremy has stated it would be hard to keep the fish pinned if it is to stiff with little give then it is totally on the reel drag and line to keep the fish hooked but that is MHO

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: May 13, 2017 03:59PM

I forgot about that blank. St Croix hasn't made it for several years. The only guy I knew who liked that blank was a guide on St Clair with the initials of S.B. Is that your customer?

I think the XH RodGeeks is as close as you'll find. Take 2" off the tip and you'll be good.

There may be some great blanks in the saltwater world that work well. I'm not very familiar with them as I build mainly freshwater. Phenix has some blanks I've been eyeing for big rubber. May not hurt to check them out.

Jeremy

Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-198-9.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2017 06:57PM

Jeremy Wagner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I forgot about that blank. St Croix hasn't made
> it for several years. The only guy I knew who
> liked that blank was a guide on St Clair with the
> initials of S.B. Is that your customer?
>
> I think the XH RodGeeks is as close as you'll
> find. Take 2" off the tip and you'll be good.
>
> There may be some great blanks in the saltwater
> world that work well. I'm not very familiar with
> them as I build mainly freshwater. Phenix has
> some blanks I've been eyeing for big rubber. May
> not hurt to check them out.
>
> Jeremy

We are referring to a different guy. He doesn't guide just strictly musky tournaments

This rodgeeks blank you are referring to. Is it stiffer than say a xxh 9' by MHx?

Date: May 14, 2017 08:33AM

I haven't built on that particular MHX blank. In general, the RodGeeks are stiffer and have a faster action than the MHX blanks.

Jeremy

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2017 12:23PM

I concur with Jeremy on his generalization of the MHX blanks as compared to Rod Geeks and others, though I have not built specifically on the musky blanks.

Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-197-14.myvzw.com)
Date: May 16, 2017 06:27PM

Thanks guys god some rod geeks blanks on order. I'll let you know how they turn out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster