I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sad news - Ken Preston
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 07:13AM

Long time RBO poster, Ken Preston passed away. Ken made a couple of DVD's on rodbuilding, and was a big promoter of the craft. he spent so much time in here helping people from teh inception of this forum. He was very big into having fun, had a positive attitude, and was extremely supportive towards other builders.
I first met Ken at the ICRBE in Charlotte, NC in 2005. David Boyle had a mini booth with Mudhole right next to Ken's booth, so we spent a lot of time at this show getting to know each other. On the second day of the show, Ken gave a seminar and asked me to watch his booth. HE came back to a crowd of people and me doing a Dec Wrap. This was my first time at a show, and the first time wrapping in front of a crowd like that, answerring questions. I loved it, and when I returned from the show I spread the word to my NERBs freinds that we had to get a booth next year. I owe a lot of gratitude to KEn for that, I always joked about it when I saw him at his booth, or at the MAryland Gatheirng in 2015.
So what did Ken sell at his booth? Nothing, he always had a booth just to promote teh craft - ask questions, hang out and share some life stories and in general pass on his positivity. We lost a really good guy today

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sad news - Ken Preston
Posted by: David Boyle (---.lns3.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 10, 2017 07:23AM

Very sad news. Best wishes to his family.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2017 07:34AM

Oh man. I know he posted in some of the threads I've asked questions in. His answers were always helpful. The community is going to miss him.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 07:36AM

Sad news indeed! My condolences to his family and friends. Never met Ken but his posts here were always helpful and informative. He will be missed.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2017 07:47AM

Ken's passing is a tremendous loss for the rod building community.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 08:45AM

The world lost a great man today.....One of the first people I got to know at the ICRBE show was Ken Preston. Ken was one of those guys that everyone loved, always had a smile and was always telling great stories. Ken was one of those guys that would share every bit of knowledge that he possessed. I remember sitting around a table for many hours listening to his stories of world travel, working in opal mines and talking about rod building. Most every night turned into morning as we lost track of time. Ken will be greatly missed by myself and a tons of other people. I am glad that I could call him my friend. Lord, thank you for loaning us your angel.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.75.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 09:42AM

Ken was a deeply talented man. He made bamboo rods the old school way and I doubt many folks know that. I have one and it will see action next week. His surf rods which included bead wraps made with Lana are simply incredible. He was extremely helpful to me in this business and I am so thankful he became my friend. His legacy will be one of sharing and his complete body of work was wide. I know of no other builder who could excel in making a split cane rod from culm and also create innovation on the artistic side. I hope someone can carry his torch.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2017 10:50AM

On behalf of the entire team and Mud Hole Custom tackle we offer our condolences to the Preston family. Those of us here that were fortunate enough to have met Ken all considered him a friend. The relationships and memories Ken cultivated with us personally and with everyone in the rod building world are a testament to his character and spirit. He will be sorely missed, but the impact he had on our craft and community will live on.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 11:05AM

Condolences to the family of Ken you will be gone but not forgotten Fish.I.P.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 10, 2017 01:39PM

A good man gone, condolences to his family.
He will be missed by many.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 03:32PM

With 4038 posts he was always ready to be helpful. Our prayers with him and family. Lynn

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 05:25PM

sorry to hear that,He was a great guy . met him once at a rodbuilding show .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 06:44PM

WOW, I he is gone way too early! A fine gentleman, and good story teller. Loved having beers with him late ate ICRBE. I could always call him with questions and he usually had the answers..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2017 10:56AM

Dam Shame - He was a good man and new what he was doing as a builder - He will be missed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 01:04PM

I will truly miss Ken and now regret not getting down there to NC to fish with him. The first time I met Ken was at an ICRBE in Charlotte, NC when I had decided I wanted to learn rod building. I asked him if he gave classes and he gruffly said "No". Anyone that knows him can understand what I experienced. His comedic timing was perfect and as I was taken aback, he then said "But you can come over and spend as many hours as you want and I will teach you anything you want to know". After one or two visits, he would just leave me alone at his house while I used his equipment and he went off some trip or errand. I was astounded how gracious someone could be. That's just the kind of guy he was and I am really saddened to have heard about his passing.

Posted by: John Lentz (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 14, 2017 10:01PM

Sorry to hear Ken was a great guy. Enjoyed his seminars, sense of humor, rod building knowledge, and great attitude. He truely will be missed. Prayers to his family.

John

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 16, 2017 01:38PM

Once you meet Ken in person, like so many of us were privileged to do, you had a phenomenal source of rod building info and tips just a quick text away. As busy as he was, I would drop some question to him out of the blue and usually within a day had an enlightening answer. Humble and great. We lost a great one!

Posted by: Arthur J Moody (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: May 16, 2017 04:29PM

I, like many got to meet Ken at the ICRBE and also attended some of his seminars to boot. I would only add to what was already said above. I remember Ken speaking and telling us about the UV curing method for a quick repair to rod guides and him saying that he thought that it possibly was a awesome and fast way to get the rod back to the customer in a timely manner especially the charter fleet when time is money where you use your equipment daily.

I'm very saddened to hear although I don't think Ken attended the last couple of expos that we had in Winston Salem and I wondered how he was doing.

Billy, appreciate you letting us know about him and from what you wrote you got to know Ken even much more.

Including myself like many others learning the craft of rod building, we better pay attention the veterans are leaving us and rod building has lost two great in the last two months back to back.

Ken, I hope you catch many silver kings up there.

Arthur Moody

Posted by: Nicolas Cervantes (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2023 10:36AM

So I met Ken on the internet many man years ago (probably 22 or so) when I first got into rod building and it breaks my heart knowing he passed away. He was such an amazing guy and always willing to help anyone with rod building questions. Well, he and I made a deal one time. The deal was he would build me a custom saltwater fly rod if I sent him a video of me catching a fish on it during my trip to Loreto, Mexico. We both held our part of the deal and the intro to his "The Saltwater Fly Rod" video is me catching a dorado from a panga in the sea of cortez. I actually still have the fly rod he made me to this day, which is special to me.

I will say this, if anyone knows his family and they would like the fly rod as a memory of him, please put me in touch with them and I will be happy to give it to them.

-Nick

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---)
Date: September 26, 2023 03:26PM

Cool story Nick. Good to know his work is still being used to this day

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster