I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie question/rod wrappers
Posted by: Joe Ellis (---.66.219.253.tsu.edu)
Date: May 09, 2017 02:22PM

Comparing a American Tackle rod wrapper with upgrade chuck to Flex Coat OEM 200. Any suggestions to a newbie in the business. Also comparing Flex Coat Epoxies to other brands.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie question/rod wrappers
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 02:46PM

ATC is not as expensive, doubles as a rod dryer, but production through put will suffer unless you buy a separate dryer. FC's is clearly a top of the line machine. I've no idea if it doubles as a dryer. Frankly, I'd recommend neither unless you are certain you will be in the business big time for an extended period, else think about starting with a hand wrapper.

As for epoxy finish, it's a personal thing where open time, viscosity, UV protection, cure / refinish time and a bunch of other properties for the brand you ultimately favor will not work as well for the next builder. Initially buy smaller quantities of several and see what works best for you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 02:52PM

I prefer using the "Taig" chuck and headstock to support the end of the rod.

This is essentially the same unit used by Renzetti lathes. The Taig head stock is of machinist quality and locks up solidly.

Be safe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-201.myvzw.com)
Date: May 09, 2017 04:48PM

Joe

We manufacture our equipment right here in the USA out of the best materials and motors available. In fact, I manufacture the Flex Coat FM200 myself here in Driftwood, Tx. Cut the wood, wire the motor, and assemble every screw. It is, as some would say, "clearly a top of the line machine."

It is the same motor that most high end rod manufacturers here in the USA use to apply our finish.

I do understand the point that it is an investment, and will require a commitment to the craft, but I assure you that you will not be disappointed with this machine.

Here is a link to a short video about using this FM200:

[flexcoat.com]

Call us if you would like to know more 512-858-7742

Sales pitch over....

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 07:56PM

You can cobble a rod dryer from a couple V blocks, one with a cheap motor from @#$%& and an altered tuna can for a butt holder.

Regarding a wrapper, I have never had a motorized wrapper. I wrapped for many years with a home made one, worked OK, but I finally upgraded to the Am Tack unit without a motor. Just the wrapper, no motor. I find if far superior to the hand wrapper I cobbled, and it makes many functions so much easier and precise. I don't miss the motor. I see no sense in trying to combine a motorized wrapper with a cork-turning lathe. The lathe job is dirty, better to keep it by itself. The wrapping station should be kept clean, no dust. The lathe job for polyurethane foam and cork can easily be done with drill press setups, but that won't work for wood. For that you need a real lathe.

Flex Coat epoxies are fine quality epoxies, as are many other brands. I use Flex Coat Lite for my wraps and like it because it has a reasonable working time, but doesn't take a day and a half to feel dry like some others do.

For structural work I use Rod Bond paste. I think it's a 15 minute version, not the long cure. It has a working time that is more than sufficient, and doesn't run like liquid types. I have never had an epoxy of any brand that did not work well if mixed properly.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 11:15PM

The TAIG head stock, chuck, etc. Roger mentioned is what comes on the Custom Power Wrapper sold by Angler's Workshop.

Posted by: Joe Ellis (---.66.219.253.tsu.edu)
Date: May 10, 2017 08:36AM

Gentlemen, I have been reading many different topics on this site for a bit as I quest for knowledge. What exist on this site is a genuine cooperative support from many members. When there are differnet opinions there are no ugly post. I thank you all for your replies. Every post was helpful and answered other questions I had. More newbie questions to follow....thx...joe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-201.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2017 11:53AM

Michael Danek

Amen, brother. Good post.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 11:54AM

Joe,
Just an example of the current wrapper that I use - which was made over the course of many years of building and rebuilding until I obtained the current wrapper that I use today:

The 10 foot base for my wrapper made of a single piece of 2x4 aluminum channel, complete with brakes and rollers. I prefer to wrap in one spot and move the rod back and forth past my work station as I wrap. I lift the brake, move the wrapper, set the brake and wrap the guide. Repeat for the next position on the rod:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The thread stand with its tension device and an example of one of the many rod holders that I use to support the rod while wrapping.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The thread stand that I use in conjunction with my original thread stand to use with very large thread spools.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

An example of the power head, dc motor and 1/2 inch industrial keyless chuck that I use to hold the end of the rod. With out the larger chuck, I will use the 1/2 inch chuck, if building without a butt cap, I will insert a tapered solid stock into the end of the blank and insert the tapered solid stock into the end of the blank for support and grip while turning. but if building with a finished butt end of the rod, I will insert a 3/4x16 -- 1/2 inch threaded mandrel. I will screw on a 3 inch taig chuck to the mandrel to grasp the end of the finished rod grip.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is one of my earlier power head stocks using a dc motor driving a taig head stock shafting with a taig chuck mounted on the end of the head stock shaft:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-------------
The dc motor is a 24 volt gear drive motor being powered by a foot pedal 0-24 volt DC power supply. this combination gives excellent speed and torque control of the power head in either direction.
Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2017 03:13PM

I have a Pac Bay wrapper that is very similar to the AMT one. I added the Alps Up Grade chuck to it and really like how it performs now. I do not turn cork on my rod wrapper because of the dust and debris it make instead I use a small lathe for grips, The alps chuck though would have no problem turning grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster