I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps MVT Toray or Fuji PTMS
Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 09:39PM

Between these 2 what would you choose and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps MVT Toray or Fuji PTMS
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2017 01:01AM

it is a wash they both have blank contact the weight factor would be minuscule the only difference would be for appearance of one style what it would look like vs the other as looking at the finish differences they have to me or the customer in that respect you would have to put them side by side and make your choice or the customer.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: May 07, 2017 03:24AM

I have the Textouch in hands (Alps) the soft finish is very nice.
Also Alps is sized every 0.5mm so it's a real (small) Blank contact reel seat.
Fuji you need to insert a tube (and shim).

Two Nice reel seat (confortable)

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2017 02:10PM

I haven't used the Fuji seat so I can't offer a direct comparison, but as Eric alluded to, the MVT seat is designed to be mounted in direct contact with the blank. Although there is an woven graphite insert in the MVT, (sizes 14 mm, 14.5 mm, and 15.0 mm do not have the insert) it is in the aft portion of the reel seat, and its I.D. is sized to the size of seat you order. The thread barrel of the MTV has 4 rectangular shaped ridges, or keys if you will, that are also sized according to the size of the I.D. of the seat you order. The ridges contact the blank directly. The MVT also offers a window in the seat that allows direct contact to the blank.

There is no need to install an insert, and no need to create an arbor to mount the seat after the insert is installed. Please understand that I am basing the need for an arbor to mount the seat to the blank based on photos of the seat and the needed insert that are on the Angler's Resource link in the left hand column. I have never seen one of the Fuji seats in person.

Not having seen or used one of the Fuji seats in question, I can only offer this. The MVT seat is an awesome reel seat. It's quick and easy to mount. Is very comfortable in use. Holds the reel very securely. And IMO, is an absolutely beautiful reel seat. I've used the MVT on the last two rods I've built, and despite its price, will be using it on all of my builds in the future.

I absolutely love it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 02:14PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2017 07:29PM

I will offer an opinion on the PTS. My son is currently building a new rod for himself and chose the PTS over the MVT. He had never tried either one before, and I thought he would choose the MVT (because he chose the Rainshadow blank and ALPS Grips), but he wanted the PTS. So that's what we got (with the Perfect Trim). It looks cool. It was easy to assemble. There is no direct blank contact, as the sleeve is what shows in the windows. The difference between the blank OD and the ID of the sleeve was very small. We did not use an arbor, and got an exact fit using one turn of drywall tape. So, it's not like there was a lot of slop to start with. Once on the rod, it looks very cool and has a nice ergonomic fit for casting and palming the reel.

I still haven't seen the MVT in person, and I do like the way it looks in the catalog. I am sure we will use it one day and love it too. But we love the PTS for this build.

It seems to me it is just a matter of preference.

Have fun choosing!

Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2017 12:25AM

The Fuji PTS weighs 0.8 oz. If I remember correctly the MVT weighs around 1.2 oz or a little more. The profile of the MVT is smaller than the PTS as well. Both are nice seats.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 08, 2017 03:47PM

I do not like the size of the PTSM nor the insert. The Alps MVT can be mounted without an insert so to me that is a plus. I have used the PTSM seat on a Point Blank and fished with it, it is ergonomic but has a "large" feel to it and too much weight with the insert and added epoxy. I have not used the MVT but most likely will now that I know it will fit without an insert. If the PTSM were smaller without an insert and made to fit the blank I would use it again because it has a nice ergonomic design.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2017 09:18PM

I have an insert here for the #17 PTS. It weighs 2 grams the reel seat weighs 24 grams. Once the insert is epoxied into the PTS the MVT is still about .0.3 oz heavier. I' probably shouldn't spend so much time weighing everything. :D You do save a lot of time during assembly by using the MVT. The MVT does have a smaller profile and more solid feel.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (74.118.178.---)
Date: May 08, 2017 10:17PM

I don't recommend the PTS if you have smaller hands. Kinda wide and bulky. Much prefer the ECS. I have the Tex Touch on a few builds, one with no insert. Plenty of blank access on that one. I find it an improvement over the ACS, however after extensive use, my hand begins to cramp a bit. I wouldn't use it on a moving bait build, but that's just me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster