I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with flexcoat thread finish, help please
Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 11:41AM

After my long post about blanks, now I have messed up.

On one of my experimental projects I have messed up my best wrap job ever.

The finish on some of the wraps is wet, not tacky, wet.

I mixed two batches as one was not enough. The second batch is fine.

I am using Flexcoat lite build.

I learned way back about not mixing thoroughly or not getting the right ratio but, those typically leave it tacky.

This is wet. I can't imagined that I mixed with part A twice, no B.

If that is what I did, is there anything I can do to save it?

Thanks

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with flexcoat thread finish, help please
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 12:44PM

I have used Flex Coat Lite exclusively for the last few years and never have had a problem with it, so I have to suspect that you in fact did mix with only one component. I doubt if there is a solution since there is no way to mix the missing component in. If you can identify which is missing. If the epoxy bottles have the right look, one clear, the other a little amber, then you do have both components in the bottles.

I trust that those with more experience than I with epoxy problems will give the answer.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 01:29PM

you could take a stiff brush and remove as much of the wet finish as you can don't use any solvents as it will flow through to the blank and discolor the wrap just a dry stiff brush when you have got that done then try a small batch of new finish stronger on the hardener and do a small part if that works then give it a go mix up enough to coat the rest wet areas it might work and might not
other wise you will need to re wrap it

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 01:52PM

this looks like another reason to use CP.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2017 01:52PM

Look the level of resin and hardener in the two bottles. If they aren't even, then it is very likely you did indeed mix two parts of the component.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2017 02:19PM

I'd warm it up a little bit with a hair dryer, wipe off what I could with a coffee filter, and hit it with a fresh coat. What do you have to lose at this point?

Date: May 06, 2017 06:02PM

I don't see how CP could prevent this. If in fact two parts of the same component were mixed, CP is irrelevant. Heavy on the hardener is suspect too since it is a chemical reaction in which discrete, individual, molecules are looking for another with which to mate. It just seems like we would have left over hardener molecules. We really don't know if it was not two parts of hardener that was mixed. In that case, if anything, you would want a few extra resin molecules. Best bet, go 50-50 and cover it up.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2017 07:07PM

Michael, I believe the post about CP was in reference to easing the cleanup as the threads would have been sealed. It certainly would not have prevented the issue, and I don't think it was intended to come across that way.

Date: May 06, 2017 09:07PM

thanks jay, you said it a lot better than i did. lol.

Date: May 07, 2017 07:35AM

Got it, thanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2017 11:12PM

Hey Doug.
So sorry that happened. Happened to me once. Really have to focus when drawing finish out of bottles.
Unfortunately you should cut bad wraps off and re-wrap. Whatever part you double dosed has soaked down under the guides and through to the blank. You will never get that part cured and wrap will be very weak.
You will end up with guides that may rotate on blank.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 08:26AM

Simple fix Doug,
Cut off the guides and remove all of the wraps. Give the blank a good clean up with DNA and simple green cleaner.

Relocated the guides, rewrap the guides, recoat the guides and you will be set with your new rod.

I have never had luck trying to wick off or remove wet, or tacky finish. I have found that it is always best to remove everything and to start from scratch again.

Good luck

p.s.
A bad foundation, makes for a shaky house.

A bad under base on rod finish makes for a poor overall rod build.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 09:47AM

Well this is what I tried.
Tried just reapplying finish, no go.
Used stiff brush and removed as much finish as possible. When I was able to remove majority of Part A, exposing the threads and let sit, I reapplied correctly mixed finish, this worked.
i tried the coffee filter with DA and it worked if I was able to get enough Part a off.

The guides I didn't screw around with. Cut the thread, remove thread and clean with DA.

I have a lot of time in my labels, assembling digitally, printing, treating than applying to the rod, applying CP, wrapping than finish. I am hoping that I said that. I was able to get pretty much of the part a removed. Haven't been in the shop yet this morning to see if it worked.

I didn't do the double part A on purpose but, after that, I wanted to use this as a possible learning experience. What did I learn, mix both parts, A & B. Otherwise, just strip it off, clean it up and rewrap.

Nothing is a failure if you learn from it.

Thanks for all the help.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster