I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lighting
Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 04:52PM

For those with the failing eyesight like I have. What do you find to be the best lighting you can use.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighting
Posted by: Dave Schappell (151.181.238.---)
Date: May 05, 2017 05:13PM

I was working in a darker basement for a while and it was really difficult...what made it easier was using one of those halogen desk lamps right over the place I was working. Made it much better. I also picked up one of those LED shop light units from Home Depot. Although the display looked promising, I wasn't sure if the brightness and the trueness of the light would cause issues. To date, I'm glad I picked them up! The light is bright and not "artificial", like you'd see in LED flashlights. My only regret was I should have gotten a larger one.

Good luck!

Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 05:57PM

I know your situation quite well, in my case I only have vision in only one eye as well. This year I think I finally have the system that works for me. I bought the CRB LED Magnifier for the HWS wrapper from Mudhole and use this instead of the thread carriage on my power wrapper, I just move it along and clamp to the track as I work, for lights I have just a small LED bar light on a stand right over the work piece which I move along, and as well the existing flouescent lights in the room. Works well for me.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:18PM

I use a goose neck type light with 60wt incandescent bulb that I can move to the best spot for lighting.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:56PM

I do as Phil does, with a 60w clear appliance bulb.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 07:39PM

been using my 40 year old drafting table lamp it has a duel arm and swings out to both ends of my bench has a magnifier lens if I need it and have a 60 watt clear light bulb tried one of the compact bulbs but it didn't play well with the dimmer on the lamp.
the dimmer comes in handy when applying finish as it cuts down the glare with wet finish .
the best part is the magnifier lens it folds up so you can get the light up close when wrapping and down for the fine work like inlays and final inspection of wraps before applying any cp or finish

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 08:28PM

i have a pair of 4ft. T5 fluorescent fixtures mounted over my wrapping bench. Provides an excellent amount of light over the entire area without being overly bright.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 08:29AM

My wrapper is mounted on the front of a large, old, wooden Army desk with a combination of 5 swing arm and goose neck lamps with LED bulbs overhanging the wrapper. Additionally, total of 8 wall mounted LED spot lights on three sides of the room. I used to use Incandescent bulbs in the desk lamps and use them as heat for drying. LEDs are cool so now thread epoxy drying takes longer.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2017 09:15AM

I have a large picture window along my bench so during the day I prefer natural light. For after dark hours I have a flourescent unit that I can slide along behind the wrapper bed.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 11:09AM

Mine is similarf to Jay's setup, but I have a "T" , two lamps over the bench, one at 90 degrees, at the center, for the rest of the room.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2017 12:52PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mine is similarf to Jay's setup, but I have a "T"
> , two lamps over the bench, one at 90 degrees, at
> the center, for the rest of the room.

Where's the "like" button?

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2017 01:56PM

I use 4 Ft LED hanging lights,Look like Florissant Lights

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2017 10:19PM

I use the LED DayLight bulbs in my lamps. Big difference between them and the regular bulbs.

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 07, 2017 04:24PM

I use an adjustable headlamp with interchangeable eyeglass lenses. It's very similar to a face shield (for grinding, etc) but instead comes with a set of magnifier lenses so I can choose the diopter that suits me. It was only $20, from Midland Tools (Canada). It's perfect for threadwork, as well as fly tying, etc.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-136.myvzw.com)
Date: May 08, 2017 04:23PM

Hi Corky,

One additional thing you may consider, is placing a large piece of white cardboard or foam board behind your rod and building station. I do this when I build rods and tie flies. The contrast between my work and the white backdrop helps me see things easier, plus I think there is some reflected light helping, too.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 08:43AM

I use this swing arm Halogen desk light, sitting on top of a 3 lb coffee can mounted upside down. The base of the light is the perfect diameter for the bottom of the coffee tin. and raises the height of the base of the lamp to the height of the turning rod. This allows for maximum swing of light. The halogen light uses a 100 watt bulb and provides intense light right in the working area to make it very easy on one's eyes for hours of detailed work.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have two of the lights, but after using one on each side of my work area found that my hands caused a shadow from one of the lights and essentially created an issue. But, by placing the light on the correct side of the work area to minimize shadows, I could work with no shadows on the guide being wrapped. I am left handed and found that the light worked best by being placed on the left side of the wrapped guide.

[www.shopyourway.com]

I have another swing arm halogen light with double bulbs in it for my industrial sewing machine that provide all of the light that I need.

I have tried several variations of LED desk lights but thus far =- have found nothing to equal the light output of the halogen lighting system.

Be safe

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 09:01AM

I use a 1600 lumens 6500k cfl bulb. 6500k is the highest I could find without ordering. I like the 6500k because its a blue light that promotes alertness and is pretty bright. Higher lumens = brighter.

[www.homedepot.com]

Date: May 10, 2017 03:50PM

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I will have to check these our and see what I can find that works best for me. Again many thanks for the ideas.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Date: May 11, 2017 01:10PM

Roger I have been looking for this light and can not find it any where. I do not think it is made any longer. The link you posted shows it out of stock
Any suggestions where I may find it.
Thanks
Corky Fleming

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2017 01:47PM

[]

(Open box)
[]

You could take one of these:

[www.homedepot.com]|THD|DigitalDecor|google||_pkw__pmt__product_205687064&mid=sf50WSK5W|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_142836471302_pkw__pmt__product_205687064_slid_&gclid=CPytubux6NMCFQUNaQodnOsPiA

Install a 15 watt LED bulb and it might work out for you just as well.

[]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster