I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heat at the tip top
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:18AM

A couple of times now I have cooked the tip of the blank a little too much and the tip came off. What is the best procedure to avoid this. I'm currently using gorilla jell glue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heat at the tip top
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 06:52AM

Why are you adding heat to the tip?

I would recommend 5-minute epoxy or tip top heat melt glue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2017 07:37AM

Are you talking about the tiptop coming off, or the actual blank tip softening and breaking? The latter can happen if you apply too much heat.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 07:37AM

If one uses a "permanent" kind of glue or using epoxy, getting a tip top off is a crap shoot. By using hot melt tip top/ferrule cement one can apply a little tension while heating the tip top and it will come off as soon as the glue melts, thus avoiding any chance of excess heat going to the blank.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-210.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 09:17AM

Robert

Here is a video about how we do it

[flexcoat.com]

If you are using a flame, it is not a good idea to let the flame touch the tip top or blank. Just get it close enough to heat it up.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.118-98-198.rdns.scalabledns.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 12:41PM

Never heard of that glue. Some take way too much heat in order to remove and are best stayed away from. Five minute quick set epoxy is the most you should need. If you need to remove a tip top just hold the end of a soldering gun against the tip tube for a couple or three seconds and the bond will usually let go.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 01:38PM

We use Flex Coat Tip Top glue and a candle in a holder so we have both hands free.
And NEVER put heat to the blank itself!
If a Salt Water rod I usually like 5 minute epoxy.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2017 07:47PM

you should apply the hot melt to the tip top tube and then slip it on the rod if it is not thin enough use a heat gun on the tip top and position it and use the heat gun to remove it and it works on epoxied tops also
Never, Never, Never, heat the tip of the rod blank with a flame or any amount of high heat as it will break down the resins in the blank like a tooth pick in a flame it is that quick !!

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2017 10:40PM

Hi Robert,

Here is great way to remove a tip top, especially when you don't know how much heat it will take:

[rodbuilding.org]

I use the Flex Coat hot glue, myself. I regularly fish in weather up to 105°, and have not had a failure yet...

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2017 10:18PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2017 05:29PM

I am SO GLAD some one came up with that way of taking a top off -- just do not heat the blank

Good work Chris

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster