I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Dimensions?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 01:05AM

And a glorious, good day to all.
Is the reel foot width, height and angle proportionately the same on all reel seats? Differently asked, does the width, height (possibly angle) of a reel seat increase as the diameter increase? Yet another view, will too small of a reel fit sloppily in too large of a seat? As an example, will the feet of the same reel fit similarly into all seats of the same size/ diameter? Is there a universal formula or does each manufacturer make their own rules? Hopefully I have described my question adequately.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Dimensions?
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: May 03, 2017 01:32AM

I like to fit the real seat to what's comfortable in my hand within reason. Obviously don't use a size 24 on an UL spinning reel. But for example, I prefer a 17 to a 16, so I'm using that on my crappie rod, even though it's a smaller reel. I don't know if that's what you were looking for.

Date: May 03, 2017 12:45PM

Randy, thank you for replying. Let me try to rephrase in an attempt to allow those of you willing to share your knowledge with my issue. I am curious to learn if the openings / saddles / cut-outs / hoods for the reel feet are the same size on all seats or if they progressively increase in size as the seat size increases. I would expect an ultralight seat to have smaller reel feet openings than an ocean trolling seat, but I am not certain, maybe not. My concern / question is geared more to, we’ll say a size 20, 22, 24 and 26. Hopefully I clarified my initial question.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2017 07:03PM

Mark.
All you mentioned above, all goes up in size and length as the reel seat gets larger, but as your reels get larger, or more geared for heavy duty use, the reel foot gets wider, beefier and longer to a certain extent. The small foot on the small palming, bass reels will work on all 16, 17, and 18 mm reel seats of either pipe (spinning) or casting trigger designs. the 18 mm and larger reel seats of both designs will fit the smaller saltwater sized reel foot which is both longer and wider that the freshwater style reel foot mentioned before. Reels that have this reel foot includes all the bigger than 6500 ABUs, the Shimano Tekotas and similar sized reels like the Shimano Charter Boat Specials, etc. If I remember right, because I've quit using the really big reels years ago, there is also one size bigger reel foot.
I've used up to a size 20 on the standard spinning reel length reel foots with no issues to speak of, but you can always add a small bit of rubber gasket material under the reel foot or under the hoods/slots to snug up that area if you like.
Does this help?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2017 07:14PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: May 04, 2017 11:45AM

Spencer, thanks for responding and, yes, it did help. I do not have an array of different size reel seats lying around to measure. My inquiry stems from being afraid to purchase a seat with too small of an ID and hence openings too small for the reel feet of typical medium duty (25-75lb)ocean rods / reels. Although preferred not to, I agree a shim of sorts can be employed to snug-up a loose fit, but would refuse to grind down the feet of a reel to accommodate seat opening which are too small. Case-in-point; I ordered a 22mm seat even though an 18 or 19 would have fit the blank of this saltwater rod build.
Is it safe to say the reel feet openings in seats gradually increase in size as the diameter increases?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2017 02:52PM

Yes to a certain degee that is true.
Especially for salt water blanks that are now so thin and narrow.
I recently had to remove a reel seat from a jigging rod that had a size 20 reel seat ( fuji ) and it was too small for the large 30 size reel that was to be used on it for live bait fishing. The hoods were too small and the diameter of the reelseat was too small for the reel clamp.

Date: May 05, 2017 01:33AM

With all due respect to previous responders, thank you, Mel. It took me awhile to state my question properly to be understandable. That being said, reel seat manufacturers should include reel feet opening dimensions as well as the ID, or is that just assumed to be common knowledge within the wizardry of veteran rod crafters? I‘m glad to have purchased a 22 rather than one which only fit nicely on the blank. It is difficult to believe I am the only one who would benefit from such dimensions.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster