I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quality Spring-Loaded Scissors?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 02:04PM

I posted my discovery of precision ground single-edge razor blades a few days ago only to learn I may be one of only a few rod builder on this site who does not use scissors. Roger and others like the Dr Slick Arrow scissors and they are probably extremely good. My thinking (Oh no, here I go again) is that it would be much more convenient and one-handed-accessible to use scissors without finger/thumb loops. Does anyone manufacturer the spring-loaded type equal to the quality of Dr. Slicks offerings? After reading all of your gracious replies from that previous post, I purchased a spring-loaded pair from my tackle shop but they are junk. I realize expecting a spring-loaded pair to perform as well as a pivoting style is asking a lot but you guys know everything. Wha-cha-got?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quality Spring-Loaded Scissors?
Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 02:12PM

I read that thread, and looked at the Dr Slick scissors. They offer spring loaded scissors too. Don;t know anything about them, other than here is a link: [www.drslick.com]

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 04:27PM

I have recently switched to scissors myself instead of a single sided razor blade. I found that I had too many 'oops' where the blade touched the part of the thread I didnt want it to, resulting in the wrap coming off. I was looking at the scissors that mudhole offers that appear to be 2 blades that get squeezed together. I may purchase them but not sure at this time.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 05:20PM

Mark

I still use single edge razor blade to trim the guide wrap threads after i pull them through the wrap. I find I do not get a close enough cut off with fly tying scissors and always seem to have a "nub" left above the wrap that needs trimming. The trimming of this nub seems to be the downfall of many a nice clean wrap!!

Rog

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 05:55PM

Ken,

I have the scissors from mudhole that you mention. We like them. No issues at all with them.

If I were to get something else, it would be something that I can lay flat on a wrap and get a cut that is flush/almost flush to the wrap itself. The scissors overlap each other, so the closest they will cut to a wrap is the width from the bottom of the blade to the cutting edge. I would like to see something similar to a wire cutter design, where the cutting edge is located at the bottom part of the clipper.

Is there anything out there like that which will cut thread?

Thanks,
Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 08:44PM

I use the small pointed medical scissors. Sometimes provided in stitch removal kits. At least that's where I've gotten them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 09:04PM

Many of us use scissors instead of razor blades. We insert our tie off loops early and after inserting the cut wrapping thread into the loop we pull the loop tight to the edge of the wrap cut the tag end of the thread very close to the loop the pull the loop through the wrap. The tag end is now buried under the wrap with no nub sticking out. Fast and easy. Have not used razor blades in years. Don't knock it till you try it.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 10:49PM

I use the Dr. Slick for all of my tag trimming tasks.

However, I use a pair of spring loaded trimming scissors for all of my other non close thread cutting needs. I have both scissors handy on the bench all of the time.

[www.sewingmachinesplus.com]

[www.amazon.com]

The thread trimming scissors are great for general purpose thread cutting, but they are not suitable for close trimming like Dr. Slick's scissors are. Dr. Slick's scissors have a much finer and thinner points on the scissor blades that will cut much closer than the general purpose spring loaded scissors.

Good luck Mark.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2017 07:48PM

Thanks to all for the replies. Norman, I have been tying-off precisely as you described from the get-go; early (as early as practical / possible) tie-off loop insertion, pull the tag under the first wrap thread with the loop, cut tag as close as possible, pull the loop the rest of the way out, which leaves the tag buried under the wrap = no fuzzies. I never saw the point to pulling the tag all the way out and then cut it unless it is the only option as a few of my wraps dictate.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2017 08:34PM

A dentist friend of mine gave a pair of fine point curved tip spring action scissors a number of years ago that I use for cutting thread. They work great. I think they are gum scissors but not sure. Might be able to get them at a medical supply store. They look very similar to some fine tip spring action fly tying scissors.
[www.drslick.com]
Norm

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2017 03:02AM

Wiss clips...even have blades you can remove and replace. Can be held in hand with one finger.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2017 10:54AM

Eric,
The Wiss clips are fine for general purpose cutting, but the tips are not fine and thin enough for close to the wrap tag trimming.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster