I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Orientation?
Posted by: Mike Martin (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 10:56PM

Ok folks, I'm completely confused about which way to orient guides where the ring is off-centered. Specifically the ATC Virtus RingLock guides. Which is the tip end and which is the butt end? From pics I've seen of wrapped guides they can be oriented either way. Which is preferred? or does it matter? This is the 1st rod I've built using off-centered guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Orientation?
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 11:07PM

If it were my choice I would put the guide on with the double foot to the reel for a casting rod and the opposite for a spinning rod but that is just my way as I consider line slap on a cast from a spinning rod and rod slap from a casting rod.
Others might have a different take or just simply say it doesn't make a difference
before you set it in for a wrap session you should tape them on and do some test casts to see what direction you your self would prefer

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: April 28, 2017 12:00AM

Thanks Mathew...that was my 1st choice as well as this is a casting rod. For me, it's seems to be a bit more cosmetically preferred as well! I'm not too concerned about rod slap as the double feet won't, (or shouldn't), interfere. I'm using a 25" distance from the reel to the 1st guide on a 7'6" popping rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 12:01AM by Mike Martin.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 12:46AM

Mike:

[www.americantackle.us]

For guides of this sort - I always line up the guides so that the double flanges on the sides of the guide are always pointing toward the reel.

That puts the thin or narrowly spaced braces toward the tip of the rod.

I think that this orientation compares to some of the well known spinning guides that are set up this way to help avoid issues with wind knots. It would seem to me that if there were a loop or slack in the line, the wide sides of the guide will help to keep the line flowing smoothly.

Good luck

Date: April 28, 2017 06:14AM

Ah you might consider moving the first stripper guide closer to the reel and adding a few more guides to your train.

this a link to Tom's article you might want to read this it is very informative to place your guides

Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 03:08PM

Matthew,
I normally place the first guide on most rods at 20-30 inches from the reel.
No need to have a guide on the rod, if the rod is not bending at that point.

The fewer guides that you have on a rod, commensurate with excellent performance is the number of guides that you want to use on a rod.

You only need a guide on a rod, to keep the line following the contour of the loaded blank. No bend, no need for a guide.

Good luck

Date: April 28, 2017 05:03PM

Mike Like I said there will always someone that will have a different opinion on what to do,
and you see my point with Roger's last post it wasn't to you but to me like I don't know this after all my years of building kind of an unnecessary comment even though I always load my blanks to place the guides no matter what the charts say,
My suggestion was to you as I don't know the specs of the blank your building and if you load test it to place the guides saying there is no need because the blank doesn't bend is a bit of a stretch as the line can slap the blank and loop over the main stripper closest to the reel if it is to far up the blank . That is from the Fugi KR concept system for guide placement and proper line flow through the guide train You don't have to use the KR guides you can use any guide you choose so long as you follow as close to the sizing they recommend if you use a 10 and down to a 6 that is fine as I have done it several times and had no issues on bass rods and muskie rods.
Here is a link to the Fugi Video on this concept like I said you can substitute other style guides and it will work, the ones you have work just fine in the video towards the end they show a casting setup you will see that they have the stripper guide close to the reel under 20 inches to maximize line flow that is my point for the suggestion,I can't speak for Rodger's comment as it doesn't make good sense and line flow will be impaired !!
Here is the Link [youtu.be]

Wi.

Date: April 28, 2017 08:26PM

Let me thank all of y'all for your help and suggestions! And yes, Mathew, I have seen that video before. Most informative, but not very aesthetically pleasing with the ring sizes of 10, 5.5, 4, 4, 4, 4,4. I'm an inshore/bay fisherman here in Texas, primarily targeting speckled trout, flounder and redfish. Here Garcia Ambassadeurs rule as opposed to spinning stuff like in Florida. Aside from the 14' heavy-duty surf rods I've built in past years, I mainly focus on 7' to 7'6", med to med-heavy, fast to very fast action. rods. The issue of line slap or over-running has never been a problem. Dale Clemens has never let me down! This new rod will incorporate a 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8 and 8 tip-top. I have found this combo to be smooth as silk and casts beautifully. (I have a buddy in the UK that works out the logarithmic spacing for me, as I'm not good with numbers).
I'm just glad I now know which way to orient the guides now!
Thanks all!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2017 10:09PM

Mike,

If you will be using a shock leader that has the knot passing through the guides, you will want the impact of the knot to force the ring into the frame and not trying to knock the ring out of the frame.

Don Becker

Date: April 28, 2017 10:18PM

Nope, I don't do shock leaders, Don. No issue.

Date: April 29, 2017 12:01AM

Yes Mike you have it down it is the same concept but just with different size guides
(on this concept like I said you can substitute other style guides and it will work, )
your next endeavor should be a spiral wrap a bit more brain work but worth every cell you burn out getting it right,
have built 5 muskie rods so far this year all done in spiral wraps the guys love the system as it eliminates the twisting of the rod in hand when put under load of a fish giving them better rod and fish control.
Haven't beet to TX since the late 70's and it was excellent fishing then must be great now
enjoy the fruit of your labor, hook em and cook em lol

Wi.

Posted by: mark vassel (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 10:00PM

Anyone-I want to fix my boat rod guides double side toward the tip. all examples show otherwise. Am I wrong? I can see a loop getting caught up on a line withdrawl, is that the only reason? and another thing...I mount my ATC ano alum real seat with the fixed hood toward the tip. All the heavy rods on TV and elsewhere show just the opposite. Don't drink and wrap. thanks Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster