I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Immortal issues?
Posted by: Rick Elrod (184.63.184.---)
Date: April 26, 2017 08:50AM

I recently built 2 spinning rods on these blanks. One is the IMMP70L and the other the IMMS610MXF. On a recent kayaking trip on my local river I caught the IMMP70L on my backcast snapping it at the rodholder between the split grips. My fault but I felt that it broke very easily. It was an easy repair, given the location, so the repair was made and it is back in service. (also on this rod the finish is pealing like a bad clear coat would on a car)
Yesterday while fishing with my friend/guide on the Susquehanna River I broke the IMMS610MXF on a hookset while finesse fishing. (this was this rods maiden voyage) We jokingly laughed it off as I was just bragging on my new stick and was proud of it! lol (btw, fish and top of rod were landed) There is absolutely no reason this rod should have broke on what was a very modest hookset. Has anyone else had these problems? I'm sure that GETBIT/ Batson will warranty the rod but upon reading the warranty card and realizing that I'm on the hook for $30 shipping for a $75 blank I'm not sure its worth the hassle! Also, while I am aware that I can re use the guides I am out another $50 or so with regards to the seat/grip/hardware etc..
I am usually not one to complain. If I was I would have already made a stink about the "peeling" blank.

Thanks,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Immortal issues?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2017 12:21PM

The first thing you want to do with any new blank is flex it deeply. Do it correctly, of course, over its entire length without putting a sharp bend in any short area of the blank. This will generally reveal any defect or damage which may have occurred during the various shipping processes from maker to distributor to dealer to you.

Yes, it's tough to lose your handle components and time involved in making them, but it happens to nearly every builder at some point.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.85.---)
Date: April 26, 2017 12:43PM

RIck - would you be able to cut around the handle components and then bore them out so you can reuse? Likely couldn't get everything hit may be able to save the reelsear a a minimum.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 12:46PM

Nate,
In spite of your kind words, I have tried over the years to salvage reel seats and grips but have never been successful to my satisfaction.

So, now, I no longer try.

I slice off the guides and pitch the rest and move on.

Be safe

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 12:54PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first thing you want to do with any new blank
> is flex it deeply. Do it correctly, of course,
> over its entire length without putting a sharp
> bend in any short area of the blank. This will
> generally reveal any defect or damage which may
> have occurred during the various shipping
> processes from maker to distributor to dealer to
> you.
>
> Yes, it's tough to lose your handle components and
> time involved in making them, but it happens to
> nearly every builder at some point.
>
> ..................................................
> ...Tom, this makes good sense. I have another Immortal blank waiting to be built and will definitely give is a shakedown first

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 06:17PM

Rick, how far up from the butt did the IMMP70L break?

Date: April 26, 2017 10:44PM

Lynn, about 5 inches

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2017 08:08AM

I know it's too late and of no consolation, but I do as Tom mentioned and flex a new blank deeply when I first get it, just to check for potential problems.

I can tell you that I'd be a little more than upset if something like what has been described, happened to me. I understand you caught the rod built on the popping blank during a back cast, but unless it suffered a sever impact at the point it broke, I would not expect a blank to break 5" from the butt?

I also wouldn't be too understanding about the rod built on the IMMS610MXF breaking on a hook set. It's not like you really powder a fish on a hook set with spinning gear.

I've built on 3 Immortal blanks, both from the casting blank line up. They are stout blanks. I did have a rod I built on an IMMC72MH blank break, but it broke under very dire circumstances. And I had fished the rod for nearly a full tournament season prior to its breaking.

Stinks about having to eat the $30 dollar shipping. Hope things work out for you.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 27, 2017 10:45AM

Hi Rick,
When you have a second I'd suggest giving our warranty department a call. I'll give them a heads up regarding your particular case. If you don't get through to someone ask for me and I'll get your details. Folks typically have good experiences dealing with us on warranty cases. We'll get you fishing again asap.

877-875-2381

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: April 27, 2017 03:45PM

Geoff's responses to threads on here is just one of the reasons Batson Enterprises products are tops on the lists of many builders, mine included.

I hope my earlier post didn't come off as being negative towards the Immortal line of blanks. If so, that was not my intention. I absolutely love the Immortal series and certainly won't shy away from them because of an unfortunate incident or two.

I feel the Immortal series was worth their cost prior to the price reduction. Now it's just silly that you can get a blank of that caliber, for a more than reasonable cost. There are more Immortal builds in my future. Unless of course my next planned build on a blank from the Eternity2 line up has me falling in love all over again.

Either way, I know I'm going to be a happy man.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 09:51PM

I'm with David here, that's the last place I'd expect a blank would ever break.

Date: April 28, 2017 07:46AM

Geoff Staples Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Rick,
> When you have a second I'd suggest giving our
> warranty department a call. I'll give them a
> heads up regarding your particular case. If you
> don't get through to someone ask for me and I'll
> get your details. Folks typically have good
> experiences dealing with us on warranty cases.
> We'll get you fishing again asap.
>
> 877-875-2381

Thanks Geoff, will do.
Rick Elrod

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 10:45AM

Batson Enterprise is a good company and stand behind their products. Sometime there are production or design issues that will cause a certain model of blank to have failures. Many companies will try to recover cost and not actually fix the problem. From what I have seen they will correct the problem and they will take care of their customers if you deal directly with them.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 11:22AM

Hello Rick.

Is your rod holder in the kayak metal or plastic?

I heard of a guy who had a split grip rod in a metal rod holder and got a strike trolling and he had forgotten to loosen his drag, it snapped the rod right off at the top of the holder between the split grip, all he had left was the bottom 6"'s of his rod.
I no longer use split grip rods in metal rod holders.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 28, 2017 01:17PM

Bob,

My rod holder is plastic.

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Date: April 28, 2017 01:49PM

I would like to report that I just spoke with Geoff at Batson Enterprises and he went well above and beyond my expectations to make things right. I wish more companies backed they're product in this manner. I will certainly be building many more rods on Batson Enterprises blanks and would encourage any one else considering their products to be confident that if you should ever need support they are there.
Thanks again Geoff!
Rick Elrod

Date: April 30, 2017 08:55AM

Rick, that is great to hear, and based on Geoff's responses to this and other threads concerning Batson products, is not surprsing at all.

You rock Geoff!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster