I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy questions
Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-198-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:39PM

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but what is the best cleaner before applying epoxy on the rod so I don't get the dimples? Also another question What cleaner to remove the excess epoxy when installing cork handles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy questions
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:43PM

We use an orange cleaner solution that you can get at HD called Zep. It works great and will get the black squeaky clean.

As far as cleaning up uncured epoxy, we like denatured alcohol on a paper towel.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2017 10:31PM

Some solvents and cleaners can themselves cause fisheyes. Best bet is to not contaminate the rod to begin with. Clean it out of the package and then don't get anything on it. building and wrapping the rod should not contaminate it.

Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-198-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2017 07:25AM

I'm almost to the point where I feel I should wear rubber gloves during the process of wrapping the rod

Date: April 26, 2017 07:36AM

There's no reason to do that. I've never been able to figure out how guys manage to contaminate a rod. The process of building and wrapping it doesn't involve contaminates.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.sub-70-198-136.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2017 10:56AM

Tom is, of course, correct that rod building does not involve contaminates or it ought not. Unfortunately, we live in a world larger than the rod bench, and anytime we are interrupted and walk away from the bench there is a risk of contacting a contaminate and bringing it back to the bench. Part of the answer is frequent hand washing. Wash before going or returning to the bench and every hour or so while working.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 07:29PM

Well in my workshop are have all sorts of adhesives, cork dust, EVA dust, lubricants being sprayed on reel parts, random fiberglass particles, spray paint, house dust, spray paint, rod blanks rubbing against each other as they are tested out, then put back on the rack. This week it was several reels and a couple oar (for rowing) repair projects. And that's just the fishing part. So without trying really hard...we have contaminants: Chemical and physical. I wish I could have a nice sterile environment, but don't. Mebbe others can.

Date: April 26, 2017 09:30PM

i've never had a sterile environment in the least. You have to try pretty hard to contaminate a rod blank. Unless you spray a lubricant directly on the rod blank or rub your wraps with fingers encrusted in Cheeto dust, it's generally not a problem.

On to the poster's second question - denatured/solvent alcohol is usually sufficient for epoxy clean up when gluing up handles or cork rings.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 11:34PM

All good answers from veteran builders who have been-there-done-that = listen,acknowledge and apply. This newbie agrees whole-heartedly.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 11:26PM

In my garage, cheeto dust is a very real, prolific threat

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 11:37AM

If there are Cheeto's any where in the area - you can be assured that the debris will end up on the rod.

No place for Cheeto's in a rod shop if you want to do good work.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 01, 2017 08:14PM

Can i eat potato chips ?? LOL nice greasy ones ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster