I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coating guide feet
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 08:04PM

I've built a few saltwater rods, and don't recall ever having this question addressed. After you prep your guide feet on a stainless steel guide frame, do you leave it as is, or do you put something on it to protect the naked stainless where the finish was removed? Does it matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coating guide feet
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 08:31PM

Sorry everyone. I found where I had posted a similar thread a few years ago and had forgotten about it. Sure sign of old age. On another note, though, I had a few people mention to me that you NEVER want to use a Sharpie to re-color the bare stainless steel on a prepped guide foot. Apparently the ink in a Sharpie has a very high chloride content, so what you basically are doing is creating a perfect situation for a rusting problem. I recently purchased a couple of markers from a California company that specializes in marking pens of all types. I got two different brands that are designed to be used specifically on stainless steel without corroding due to minimal chloride and halogen content. Haven't used them yet, but hope to soon.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:02PM

A question, if it is all stainless will it effected by salt water ?? or is it only a coat of stainless ??

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:16PM

Bill, stainless will indeed rust.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 08:02AM

I use a lite coat of black finger nail polish on black guides.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 12:46AM

Jay,
I beg to differ with you. If you looking for a SS which will not rust but yet is rusting, you are are using the wrong SS. There is a multitude of different SS alloys. The typical SS screws found in hardware stores are 301, 303 or 304, commonly referred to as 18-8 (18% chromium, 8% nickel). Yes, this SS alloy will rust, but immensely less than regular steel. It is a good, cost effective, corrosion resistant SS. If ultimate corrosion resistance is required, 316 SS is only surpassed by alloy 20, Nitrronic 60, A220 and A286 which are cost prohibitive, lack workability, and certainly not required for even any saltwater fishing apparatus. A fact which many fail to realize is that a typical steel screwdriver or hex bit may transfer a thin film of its material on a perfectly good SS screw which seems to rusts, leaving many to think the rust is from the screw rather than the driver used to screw it in.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 10:10AM

Stainless steel is not rust proof, it is "corrosion resistant" and will rust in corrosive environments over time. However, stainless steel will corrode at a much slower rate than chrome alloy steel.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 02:48PM

Regular Sharpie pens contain a significant amount of chloride, a compound that causes pitting in metals, including stainless steel. Sharpe does manufacture a "TEC Marker" that is trace element certified to not contain significant quantities of chloride and are the preferred choice for marking metals. Nail polish or paints tend to be a safer bet. I use Testors paint to coat prepped guide feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster