I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Spinner
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 07:32PM

Building a 7 ft. spinner, ml 1/16-3/8 oz. lure 6-10lb. line. How far back from the tip would you place your next guide and not consider it to be too far back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Spinner
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 08:33PM

Every rod I've done is different but I'd say no more than 4" at most.

Date: April 24, 2017 09:06PM

I was thinking 4.5" to be the limit.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 09:25PM

Any where from 9 to 11 cm.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 11:43PM

Emory Harry convinced me years ago that the rod should tell you where to put the guide, just like the rest of the guides on the rod. Have yet have a rod fail because of it.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 01:23AM

find the spine add the tip top tape on the guides and do a load test that is the best way to place the guides
As Nate stated no 2 are exactly the same you can have 2 blanks the same model but that is where it ends guide spacing can vary up to 1 1/2 inches from suggested placement charts the load test doesn't lie
my own process I start at 5 and move it forward if needed your runners should have the same distance as tip top to first runner

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 06:26AM

Lynn,
When I first started building rods, I would always use a tapered guide spacing. i.e. guides progressively closer together as one got nearer the tip.

But after checking and rechecking a lot of blanks as I got more experience under my belt - I found that many blanks were a touch stiffer near the tip.

As a result - many of the rods - but not all rods - I will place the first guide down from the tip at the point where the blank begins to bend while under load Then, the nex guide down from the tip as the rod loads progressively more etc.

So, although several running guides in the upper portion of the rod may be at spacing of 3-5 inches -- I will often find that the first guide down from the tip - will be one inch or more down from the tip - than the distance between the 1st and 2nd guide or the second and third guide.

As Spencer - so nicely stated - let the blank talk to you - and then place and wrap the guides according to what the blank is telling you.

Good luck

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 11:21AM

the other day i was getting ready to put guides on a rod and i said "talk to me rod" and all it did was give me a blank stare. lol.

Date: April 25, 2017 03:37PM

KR calls for 8 guides and tip. I have 9 on it now. When I stress the rod I can hear it saying 10 wouldn't be too many. KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M, choke/runners size 4 Pac Bay minis. Reduction and choke guides positioned as KR gps recommends. 10 seem like a lot but I can do it.

Date: April 25, 2017 07:34PM

After further review, KR GPS and Fuji static load tutorial are not in agreement on the number of runners. The tutorial advises 10 total guides, which is what looks good to me, so 10 it is. This puts my tip 3.5"or so, from the next guide. Will static test again, but it ain't gonna change much.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 01:12AM

Ben,
That made my day. Thanks!!!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster