I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for Source of Quality Feathers
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 05:28PM

I was very impressed with Donald La Mar’s offering of using feathers for alignment marks. Thanks again, Donald, I really love the idea! I have never tied flies or worked with feathers before, so I am afraid I would be unable to distinguish quality feathers from seagull fluff. What / where have you veterans discovered to be the best source for feathers? Is there anything one needs to be aware of? Hopefully, my two African Gray parrots are not looking over my shoulder reading this.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for Source of Quality Feathers
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 06:40PM

hi mark..it looks like you have a reason to take up fly tying. lol.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 08:10PM

Mark

Angler' Workshop, a forum sponsor listed to the left, has fly tying feathers, including jungle cock eyes, which is what I used but purchased from a non-forum sponsor before realizing Angler's Workshop had them. Shame on me.

Was not a fan of alignment marks figuring that anyone who needed an aid to assemble a fly rod ought to take up spin fishing with a one piece rod. But, the spirit moved me, put feathers on a glass rod's ferrule wraps, and am now sort of a fan of alignment marks.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 24, 2017 09:21PM

Check out fly tying sites. Some of the sponsors carry small feathers but the fly sites have many choices. Also craft supply stores are a good source.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.mcclatchy.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 09:20AM

Anglers Workshop as Donald mentions is a sponsor here. You can look to Janns Netcraft too. Find a fly shop in your area, visit it, and see the selection of feathers they have available. When on vacation, search out the shops in towns you visit if none are available near you. Also, there are two widely known sports/outdoors/gun/fishing/camping companies which have fly fishing/tying departments (but probably cannot mention them by name since they are not sponsors).

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 25, 2017 12:02PM

Ben, you are probably correct but the reason I don’t is because I’m too busy enjoying wrapping rods and fabricating things to facilitate doing so.
Thanks Donald, Michael and Eric. Is a feather a feather or are there quality issues with which to be concerned?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2017 04:41PM

I would suggest that for tying flies, quality is the top priority. Chickens are genetically bred and farm-raised over generations to produce quality feathers with specific fly tying characteristics, one being consistency in quality. certain "brands" have evolved over time to offer what most consider the best feathers. Whiting Farms is just one such top producer of feathers.

since you're taking a product that is created for another use (fly tying) for your own unrelated needs (alignment markers) your priorities would be different. for one thing you probably do not need a full cape or saddle. but both uses would share the property of clean, consistently sized and well-tailored feathers. so it would be a good avenue to source rather than something you find off the ground, from seagull fluff, or your own parrots. :) but those might work. it's up to you.

what kind of feathers are you interested in using? i have not seen donald la mar's "offering." in my past brief episode of using feathers for alignment marks, the only feathers i was interested in using or had seen used were jungle cock feathers. you can buy small packs, and they now offer a synthetic version. and aside from fly shops, some sources may include online shops still targeting the hair decoration fad from a few years ago. this particular source may not value the size and quality consistency that fly shops and fly tying sources value.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 27, 2017 12:04PM

Eric,
I have no idea what type of feathers I would want until viewing what is available. It is probably safe to say not seagull fluff though.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2017 02:49PM

Mark, here is a source I use. Very big selection and good images. [siskiyouaviary.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster