I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Immortal Question
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 03:30PM

I just purchased my first Immortal, the blank I have is the IMMWS68MXF. I was very excited about this blank based on reviews here and the neat color, however, After receiving it I am honestly a bit disappointed. The stated weight is 1.7oz and tip is 4.5, however, the one I have weighs in at 2.3 oz and has a 5.5 tip and the wall thickness looks to be about 20-30% thicker than the Revelation and St. Croix blank I have.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have built on the revelations before and they are true to specs but this one is off by more than I like and honestly feels a bit "clubby" to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Immortal Question
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 08:05PM

I would contact your supplier, you might have a mix up.

Date: April 22, 2017 08:34PM

Lynn - I would have thought the same thing but the sticker on the blank says it's the right one.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 09:13PM

Stickers can be incorrect

Ron Weber

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 09:13PM

No it not the right blank! It does not meet advertised specs. Send it back and make sure you get one that meets specs. The seller should do this for you at no cost to you. If not contact Batson. There is no reason why it should not met specs, it is either a mislabel or is defective.
Norm

Date: April 22, 2017 09:18PM

Interesting thing is I have another one (which USPS decided to break the bottom 4 inches) and it has the same feel but a size 5 tip. I'm going to give Batson a call on Monday to get their opinion on it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 09:19PM

I have built quite a few Rainshadow rods, some Immortals, some RX 8's, some RX 7's, and they have all been dead nuts on the specs. Something is wrong, as stated above.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2017 12:03PM

Nate,

Without a doubt, you've received a different blank. I've built 6 or 7 of the IMMWS68MXF as Bass drop-shot rods and they were all right on specifications.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2017 02:58PM

Nate,
I believe that you have received the incorrect blank.

What is the color of the blank?

I have build a lot of the immortal rods and have always found them to be spot on - with a perfect match to the specifications.

Good luck

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2017 05:35PM

Similar story for us:

We purchased the immortal IIMC72MH.

_____________________________________Butt Tip Weight
The Batson site has the following for specs:___.555 6.0 2.9
GetBitOutdoors has the following for specs:___.560 6.0 3.0
My personal measurements:_______________.547 6.0 3.3

So, I didn't know if what I measured was within manufacturer's tolerance or what? Rod is not assembled yet. We are actually still waiting on some backordered items. Should I expect a measurements dead on to the manufacturer's specs? If so, is this something that is enough of a difference to ask for a new blank?

Thanks,
Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2017 08:27PM

Gib,
Actually, your blank is pretty close to the manufacturer's specification. The tip is right on and the butt size is very close. The weight is only different by .4 oz.

The one place that I get concerned about a new blank is the size of the tip. Generally if the tip size is correct, the action of the rod will be close. The action is one of the most important parameters of a blank t hat concerns me.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2017 08:17AM

Gib, I'm curious as to the color of your 72MH blank? Is it more silver gray, or does it look more gray with a slight blueish tint to it? The reason I ask is ..... I built on that blank a couple of years ago, the blanks color was the more of a gray with a slight blueish tint. I am almost positive that the listed weight for that blank was 3.2 oz.

After an unfortunate incident last year where that rod broke, I just finished a build on that blank a couple of weeks ago. The color of the newer blank was more silver gray. Gone was any hint of a blueish tint. IMO it is a rather drastic color change from the previous blank. I didn't weigh the newer blank or check the dimensions with calipers, (a 6.0 tube tip top did fit perfectly though) but perhaps you have one of the older blanks and that's why the weight is different?

I'm assuming the silver gray blank I just built on is the new color as the 72MH that broke is a perfect color match for a 73ML blank I built on about a year and a half ago.

I don't know. 4/10s of ounce difference in weight is a pretty big difference in my book. I think I'd be at least calling Batson and seeing what they have to say about it.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.85.---)
Date: April 24, 2017 09:20AM

@Roger - the color is the Titanium Chrome, looks great just feels terrible in the hand and the top is way off.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 24, 2017 06:46PM

David, the new immortal blanks have a major color shift from the previous models!! I personally prefer the previous color to the current one

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 24, 2017 07:17PM

Call them, they'll likely make it right.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 07:49AM

Thomas ...... you're sure right about that. It is a major color change. As to which I prefer personally .... I'm still up in the air on it. The previous color is more ..... I don't .... I guess refined is the word I was looking for. The newer color is definitely more bold.

I've used the same wrap scheme on the Immortals I've built on so far. Black with a 3 wrap metallic silver trim band, and a 2 wrap metallic gold inlay in the center of each wrap. IMO they look great on both blank colors, but they really pop on the more recent one.

I do know one thing for sure though .... if the brighter color is the new color (who really knows for sure?) then they need to come up with a different color for the decal, because it's almost an exact match of the blank color. I've yet to put a decal on any of the rods I've built thus far, but I was seriously considering putting it on this most recent Immortal build. Won't be doing it though .... the decal color is just too close to the color of the blank.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 25, 2017 06:44PM

Hi All,
There were some changes made to select Immortal series models late last year. We are in the process of getting the specs updated in the downloadable PDF catalog and on the Rainshadow website. We apologize for any confusion caused by the changeover. The IMMS68MXF is much closer to what Nate was looking for we are getting him the blank he needs. We'll have our published info up to snuff asap.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: April 25, 2017 08:10PM

Geoff - thanks for your quick response today and working with me on this. It's great to see a company that will work with customers like this. Looking forward to getting the blank we discussed!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 26, 2017 08:58PM

I had a similar problem with another manufacturer and they did not handle it as is being done in this case!! Just another reason to keep purchasing batson stuff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster