I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wynn Grips?
Posted by: Charles Palmer (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2017 10:45PM

While I build mostly with carbon fiber grips that I make myself, I have had a couple of clients ask me about Wynn grips and I thought I'd ask you guys a couple of questions:

1) my son works in a golf shop and while he agrees that the Wynn grip are at the high-end of the spectrum, he also has a set of regular golfers that come in each year to have their clubs re-gripped as the Wynn grips breakdown with normal use during the year. What has been your experience with Wynn grips that are provided for custom rod builders? Are they made out of the same material? Have you had any returns because they are wearing out over the course of a normal fishing season?

2) Do all the Wynn grips that are available to custom rod builders including the mudhole MHX grips have the Wynn logo or any Wynn identification on them? I would consider trying them but everything I see has the Wynn logo which, and in my opinion, takes away from the custom aspects of the rod.

Thanks,

Charles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wynn Grips?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 12:55AM

I use Winn grips on my golf clubs, and replace them about every 3 or 4 years, however the wear on the grips is not from using them, but from stuffing them in and out of golf bags. Golf grips in golf bags get quite a bit of friction rubbing against each other or the tubes in some bags.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2017 07:04AM

I have only built 4 builds with the Winn grips and all have been this year. I have concerns also about long term wear. Phil is right about golf clubs take more abuse than a rod. I found Winn grips at the Rod Room without the Wiinn logo that look very good. The listing has that these are for an SK2 reel seat setup, but with the material these are made from allows it to be turned to most factory reel seat options. This site has a few grips from Winn that I have not seen at other sites. Time will tell on these grips. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 09:01AM

I've also seen regular golf club grips wear from golfing use but don't believe the type of torque generated from a golf club swing will be anywhere near that of casting a fishing rod or even fighting a fish. I've built one rod so far with the grips this spring and have not heard back from the customer. I have a couple of more sets that I plan on using on future builds.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2017 11:26AM

Winn Grips are the real deal. Most of the new Lews Rods are equipped with them. Thy wear very well, and the wetter they get the more grip you have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 11:43AM

Ray,
You can't possibly be serious with this statement.

You said "that you don't believe the type of torque generated from a golf club swing will be anywhere near that of casting a fishing rod or even fighting a fish."

When, I look at professional golfers who work out every day and are in excellent physical shape - hit the ball 350 yards - it appears to me that every fiber of their body is into the swing of the club.

Now compared to a musky fisherman that makes a thousand casts a day - the total number of golfing swings is many times less than that of a golfer; but the absolute of a golfer hitting a ball for an extreme distance is certainly as much or more than any person using a fishing pole.

However, it really makes no difference.

The grips on golf clubs are great.

The grips on fishing rods are great.

Choose your material and move on.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 12:01PM

Winn fishing grips are relatively new; the Winn dry fishing grips started showing up in 2014. So it is difficult to say how long they will last. I have been putting them on rod for a few years now with zero complaints. Most of these on rods that are heavily used. In fact they have become my most popular grip. The older style grips displayed the Winn advertisement prominently. The new style Winn grips display the maker's name in a very subtle way and you have to look for it. The Fuji Winn grips do not display the Winn name at all. Fuji has a Winn grip for the VSS reel seat which I like a lot in the size 17, the size 16 is too small. The Fuji SK grips are also too small, their other grips are very good.Have not tried the new Forecast Winn grips, so can't comment on them.
Norm

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 01:34PM

Roger, LOL, senility is setting in, I meant the exact opposite, you are correct, that's what I get for not proof reading my own musings.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 01:45PM

Used them on my fly rod two years ago, and look great. Haven't had any requests for them since. Doing lots of carbon fiber now

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 05:20PM

I have rods with cork, carbon fiber, and Winn grip handles and I use them so the people I am making a rod for can hold, look at, and fondle to decide the type of handle they want. Most choose the Winn grips, a smaller number carbon fiber and very few cork. All of the people I build for are avid fishermen with many fishing tournaments..They take their fishing seriously.and love the Winn grips. I tend to prefer the carbon fiber grips, but the Winn grips are a close second.
Norm

Posted by: Charles Palmer (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2017 06:46PM

Thank you all for your comments. Appreciate all of your help .

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (97.65.5.---)
Date: April 24, 2017 12:26PM

I was wondering the same thing. I repair clubs and play a lot. I play Winn grips and replace them every year, and replace all of my friends and customers every year too. It's a Winn-Win situation for me. But it wouldn't be if they wore out on rods. If they are the same material, I'd have second thoughts. The club grips are soft and we expect them to wear out, but they are the best grip for many because they are so soft. kinda like performance tires, soft, good traction, but wears fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster