I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB ROD DRYER /CRB POWER HEAD
Posted by: ralph hinton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 02:12PM

HELLO! I have bought the CRB Rod Dryer and the CRB Power Head. Having problems with the chuck, which is made of a rubber. I have used the Rod Dryer / Power Head only a few times the ID on both seems to be to small. I have split both chucks from the center out. Should I open up the ID ? THANX!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB ROD DRYER /CRB POWER HEAD
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 02:30PM

Ralph,
Most of these style chucks use 1/32 or 1/16th thick neoprene for the face of the chuck.

Just take a hole punch of 3/4 inch, 1 inch, or 1 1/4 inch - depending on the size grips that you need to grip and make a new face for the chuck face.

You can also purchase new face plates for the flex coat dryer chucks that have different sized holes in them to accommodate the different chuck faces.

Contact Flex coat on their web site:

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-205.myvzw.com)
Date: April 18, 2017 02:39PM

Its true, we will help you out. Give us a call. 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2017 11:31PM

I been using the flex coat dryers for thirty years, doing rod repairs on every type of rod you can conceive of with any size and type of butt grip commonly found. I use an adapter of my own design made from re-purposed items most people simply dispose of. I can tell you I haven't split out a diaphragm on a dryer in the last twenty years and wont even consider using any other type of chuck for a drying motor . There is nothing easier or more depndable to use , light push and your set.

Date: April 20, 2017 11:57PM

If this fellow is having trouble with his particular chuck - I expect that it is the material that is being used on the face of the chuck.

I have used flex coat chucks with 0 Issues.

I have made copies of the flex coat chuck using both 1/16th and 1/32 inch thick high grade neoprene and also no problems at all.

I have no knowledge of the material being used on the CRB chucks.

Be safe

Date: April 21, 2017 03:38AM

Lets try this as an exercise in real life situations. I do repairs professionally on fishing tackle, which is to say, I deal with what ever walks in the door. In the same day I may have the top section of a fly rod, a casting rod with a pistol grip, a surf rod with an inch and a half butt cap. the question is, what is the optimum size hole to have in my drying motors diaphragm. I cant be wasting time swapping rods around in different dryers to try and accommodate all the different sizes as they come in. Every thing must fit one size hole, what is the size of that hole?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2017 09:27PM

I'm going to guess that it would be almost exactly 7/8th of an inch.

Date: April 21, 2017 11:35PM

Paul,
Or put a machinist chuck on your dryer which you may adjust exactly to what is needed.

Or use a drum dryer, which does not require a chuck per se:

An Alps head stock using a Taig Chuck:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A renzetti head stock using a Taig Chuck:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A picture of a drum dryer as well as a single rod dryer using a chuck made from a PVC cap, 1/32 thick Neoprene material for the end cap - with a 7/8th hole punched in the neoprene before mounting it on the motor:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Picture of home made dryer chuck - from a pvc cap and 1/32 thick neoprene material for the cap:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 22, 2017 02:33PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul,
> Or put a machinist chuck on your dryer which you
> may adjust exactly to what is needed.
>
> Or use a drum dryer, which does not require a
> chuck per se:
>
> An Alps head stock using a Taig Chuck:
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/19381/title/alps-headstock-with-dc-motor/ca
> t/508
>
> A renzetti head stock using a Taig Chuck:
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p/photo/18933/title/dc-motor-mount/cat/508
>
> A picture of a drum dryer as well as a single rod
> dryer using a chuck made from a PVC cap, 1/32
> thick Neoprene material for the end cap - with a
> 7/8th hole punched in the neoprene before mounting
> it on the motor:
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/18039/title/ice-rods-drying-on-drum-and-sin
> gle-dryer/cat/508
>
> Picture of home made dryer chuck - from a pvc cap
> and 1/32 thick neoprene material for the cap:
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/8417/title/dryer-chuck/cat/508

Thank you, You've provided a quick reference case study in dryer options. Even as set by need, circumstances, an accommodations available, even I found information useful to my purpose.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-196.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2017 04:38PM

Paul

We ship our diaphragms with 11/16" holes as a standard, but we can make the hole any size upon request.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster