I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread wrapping
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2017 08:59AM

I am trying to wrap thread using a straw over top guide thread and it seems as though I can't get away from one of the threads crossing over all of the threads which to my eye looks not so good. Anyone else encounter this situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread wrapping
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2017 09:53AM

What do you mean "using a straw?"

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 10:14AM

My guess is that he is taping a straw to the blank to be used for trim bands? I use toothpicks taped to the blank where I wrap around the blank then slide the tag ends between the toothpick and blank then pull tight. I keep each tag end separated on either side of the toothpick to avoid overlapping. I push the tag end from left to right on the one side and right to left on the other side.

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2017 11:10AM

You got it right Ken. I've tried to do it as described on you tube and some where some how a thread gets crossed up across all of the threads. I'll try your tooth pick method. I'll let you know ????

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 01:26PM

Robert,
Have never used a straw or other aid to avoid thread crossing. I just complete the thread wraps and stop at different spots on the rod. No issue.

Depending on what I am doing, I may have two, three or four thread pulls under the thread at the same time. I use 10 lb braided fishing line for pulls which is very thin and strong and lets me wrap the thread tightly and still get nice pull throughs of the thread.

Be safe

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 03:37PM

I've never used a straw or a toothpick. I just tape my pull through down make my trim wrap and pull the tag end. I'm an outwrapper and have to be fast. Trim wraps go faster than a guide wrap and pays the same to I love doing trim wraps.

Date: April 18, 2017 09:48PM

Thomas,
Since you are an outwrapper, can you say how many rods you wrap an hour?

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 18, 2017 10:14PM

Roger

How many rods I do an hour depends on how many tie offs there are. Over the years I've slowed down to about 60 tie offs and hour. That would be 15 double foot guides with trim wraps. On my best day I wrapped 120 ultra lite Loomis rods in 10 hours, I only took a couple of 15 minute breaks. Now most of the rods I do are spey rods and the average rod has 61 to 64 tie offs and takes me about 50 minutes to do one, I'm not in a hurry any more.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 19, 2017 06:58AM

The use of a straw versus a toothpick shouldnt matter. You just have to make sure that you dont let the thread spiral off the rod blank as you are passing the tag end under the loops. If a loop spirals off, best bet is to start over. I have had several issues when a loop comes off. Just be patient with it as it takes a litle practice.

Date: April 19, 2017 07:45AM

Thomas,
Thanks for the updates.
Roger

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2017 08:12PM

Tooth picks and straws to do trim bands, I cant figure this one out and I been wrapping for fifty years. I'm not making a judgment, I just don't get it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster