I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather inlays on bare blank...
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 08:13PM

I have a copy of Russ' (Goldenwitch) feather inlay article and have had very good results with inlays so far. I have followed his directions, using a (silk) thread underwrap to rest the feather on, then coating with cp and finish.
I would like to place a feather directly on a blank, using no thread underwrap. To "contain" the cp or finish, do you border each end of the feather with trim wraps of thread, or is there other methods? Thanks for any help! Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather inlays on bare blank...
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 16, 2001 10:43AM

I place thread wraps at each end of an inlay. Usually, right at the handle with a triple-singlewind inlay, then position feathers and place an exact opposite wrap after the inlay (make sense, by opposite, I mean to make it look symetrical). Just place the wraps an equal distance from each end of the inlay (otherwords, center the inlay between the wraps). I would not ever use full strength CP on a bare-blank inlay, my results have left a haziness(milkiness) when using fullstrength. If using directly on blank I use 30/70 mix of CP/water. The CP I use is Brilliance from Clemens.
Works great for me. If I really want a short butt section being finished I will put my inscription or label just opposite the inlay (bottom of the rod). But looks fine by placing above your outer wrap.

Date: November 16, 2001 02:39PM

Thanks for the reply Elrod!
Here is how I understand the method: The feather is coated in the 30/70 cp/water mix, applied to a bare (unfinished) blank and let dry, and then coated with finish (LS2000 or whatever) until level? Will give it a go. Thanks again, Mike

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 16, 2001 04:17PM

I usually apply a little extra cp/water mix once the feathers are in place, but not so much that it runs all over the blank. Just directly to the feathers, enough to connect the feather to the blank. Let dry at least 24 hours. Even then, if multiple feathers, I hit with a hair dryer to make sure no wet "pockets" are left.

Date: November 16, 2001 05:37PM

Thanks Elrod I really appreciate your help! This will be a "handy" method when I can't match a underwrap color with a blank color or certain feather.
Happy Thanksgiving, and best regards, Mike

Posted by: Coach (---.gnt.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 10:03PM

I still have the samples that Rich and Solly did both ways was pleased either way.

Hey Coach...
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 17, 2001 11:46PM

Please, don't show those first frankenstein attempts to anyone.

We were playing and I agree, you can do either way. I think we even tried metallic underwrap for the flashy saltwater 'fly' attempt ('attempt' is about right). If I remember one had a yellow underwrap with a brown spotted grouse feather? Ugly, but it finished about right. These were all practice and nothing to show anyone. Thank god we didn't put them on a finished blank.

I think a lot depends on the color of the blank itself. I remember seeing some samples of the guild projects and remember seeing the bare blank feather inlays better show on the colored (matte green?) blanks. Nothing wrong with underwraps. is the point.
Damn. now coach you are giving me halftimer's again.

I'll have the blunderbust loaded again for more grouse. They make good table fare as well.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster