I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson SWS70L--stripper guide
Posted by: keith nehrke (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2017 08:42PM

Holy cow, is titanium expensive!!! I'm using Fuji TKWAG double foot for the first three guides, then titanium single foot runners to the tip. The main application is going to be jigging, in a private boat, off Boston for black sea bass and the like. I'd planned to start with a size 25 TKWAG stripping guide and work through a 16 to an 8, then go with 7s for runners. My concern is that the size 25 double foot guide may be too small? Although it's primarily for jigging, I don't want to "ruin" it for occasional casting. I'd also rather pay for a 25 than a 30 in titanium, if it's not going to make much of a difference...plus, the titanium alconite has been discontinued and is getting tough to find.

Has anyone built on this blank using double foot strippers? If so, what size did you start with and how does it cast? I appreciate any feedback. And sometimes I'm glad that I fish freshwater...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson SWS70L--stripper guide
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2017 04:18AM

You could probably downsize quit a bit Per Batson Guides & Space Chart, sizes 12-10-10-8-8-7 to the tip, Whitch by the way has been pretty darn accurate for me, They do know their blanks, As they build on them as well as us. Our are you talking spinning guides???? Like I Think Whats the Reel Spool Size?? Yours is the second one down SWS70L [web.archive.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 04:33AM by Jay Dubay.

Date: April 12, 2017 06:41AM

Yes, I'm talking spinning guides. I looked at their blueprint and they recommend a size 30. However, this build will be used primarily with braided line. I suspect that the #25 guide will work okay, but I'm hoping someone on here has built with the double foot guides as a stripper and can comment directly. Thanks.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 07:45AM

What's the spool size? I'll use a #25 with a 3500 reel #30 with a 4500 reel or larger. You might want to use #8 or #10 runners if you are passing knots. #8 work great for most simple kind to leader knots.

Date: April 12, 2017 08:30AM

It's likely to be a Shimano 4000 spool size, perhaps a Stradic, with 25 lb braid? I'm not sure my buddy has figured it out completely, which makes placement a bit tougher. Size-wise, however, is in the ballpark.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 09:40AM

Keith,
Plenty of guides to use on a rod other than titanium. Most of these much less expensive guides will last for as long as the rod is in service with no issue at all.

Good luck

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 11:00AM

A light power 7 ft blank with 25# braid and double foot guides? Have you considered KL-H single-foot guides? Double-foot sound like overkill but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 11:39AM

I agree with Jim, I think you could use single foot guides for this rod. Use the KL guides for a NGC build or KL-H guides for a KR concept build. If you are using size 7 runners or larger I would go with a NGC build.
Norm

Date: April 13, 2017 05:11AM

Hey Roger, yeah...I know...but my buddy insists on titanium. So titanium it is. And he wants doubles for the first two. I'm using singles for the remainder though. I've built a bunch of rods using KL-H and I love them, and this rod will have KL runners.

So...given these constraints...and thoughts on a size 25 versus size 30 stripping guide?

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 13, 2017 09:01AM

I would suggest putting the size reel your friend plans on using on the reel seat and put the guides on the blank with tape (or similar) to get a feel for the guide spacing. Try with the 25 first then with the 30. If there is no real difference in the path of the line, then I would just go with the 25.

Date: April 15, 2017 01:24PM

Guess that's how I'm going to do it, then. Nothing like empirical determination :).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster