I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jigging rod for rockfish on Chesapeake Bay
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 06:33PM

I was talking with a bunch of locals, that insist on medium heavy, extra fast action, with 6'6" length. I can't find anything like that online except for powell makes rods for 110.00 bucks with this style blank. Now every jigging rod I ever knew of was moderate action with a longer length. Any help on educating me or my customers would be helpful!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jigging rod for rockfish on Chesapeake Bay
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 08:20PM

ERS78MHXF-MHX.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 08:29PM

or this one rod geeks Carbon 2 Series - C266MHF

$54.00

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 11:22PM

Well I'm one of the locals and I use 6-6 and 7ft.max a long rod will ware you out jigging all day
even more so in a hard running tide ware it takes 10-16 oz to keep it banging on the bottom.
medium heavy, medium fast action, and on some rods medium action.
when the big ones shake their head the softer tip helps prevent them enlarging the hole the hook is in and come unpinned. lost a lot of fish before I figured that out
and I still have a couple fiberglass rods 30lb. line class from 35yrs. ago still use on ocation light drag lot of fun.

Curt

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 08:16AM

Fish the lower and mid bay for them regularly I like the American tackle AXC70M for what you described.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 09:06AM

Try Mud Holes PTSW78MH or SW66H great blanks.....

Date: April 12, 2017 07:08PM

So I talked to a good buddy of mine, Jigging is probably just a swimbait with a jighead, while casting. This would mean that a medium xf would be great, but if your bouncing a diamond jig at the bay bridge, I think a slower action would be fine. Any blank ideas for the above jighead swimbait, would be helpful as well. I use a light to medium light for this kind of fishing even on large 25 inch rockfish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 09:54PM

Are we talking freshwater bass style blanks like the Powell you mentioned, or saltwater power blanks? They aren't the same, not even close.

Date: April 13, 2017 06:33AM

It is the Inferno blank. Looks to be freshwater, like a dropshot rod.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2017 12:18PM

Being form the land of the Chesapeake bay.....one of my customer who fishes mainly on the bay is Chesapeake Planners Inc. I have made several jigging rods for them. His choice was a Rod Geeks C469MHF this is a 6"9" blank. They like it so well that repeat orders keep coming for his customers.

The 6'9" seems to be the right length for how they jig for Rockfish (Maryland for Stripped Bass !!) .

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster