I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky blanks
Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-198-2.myvzw.com)
Date: April 10, 2017 08:58PM

I'm in the search for 7'6" and 8'6" budget musky blanks. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky blanks
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.ntc.charlottesville.shentel.net)
Date: April 10, 2017 09:32PM

Try Tackle Industries. Very nice blanks for the price.

Jeremy

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2017 11:25PM

Musky Rod Series - MKY72MHFfrom Rod Geeks a good economical blank builds a super rod have built 4 for customers and they love them.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 09:13AM

American tackle has a 7'6" musky blank. rated 30-60 I think. I played with it at the expo and it was very nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 09:13AM by Capt. Craig Freeman.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 09:32AM

The Tackle Industries blanks are pretty nice if you buy the 5 pack you can get the $65 a piece free shipping. James is a good guy, email him or shoot him a message on Facebook if you want to mix and match powers on the blanks and he'll make it happen. I've built several rods on the Rodgeeks Muskie blanks, they are fantastic. A little more $$ but in my experience nothing in muskie fishing is inexpensive and most guys that do it often know this. Throwing baits that big for that long it's well worth the extra money to be comfortable.

Posted by: chad robbins (---.sub-174-198-5.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2017 10:17PM

Now another question I have is proper handle size for the bigger musky rods

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sub-70-199-195.myvzw.com)
Date: April 13, 2017 12:22PM

Chad, most guys typically want a rear handle length in the 16-18" range and 1.25" diameter. Fore grips are usually 5" with the same diameter.

It's all about personal preference but I've found those to be the most common sizes for my customers.

Jeremy

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 13, 2017 12:32PM

Jeremy is spot on. It's all preference for me, I prefer a longer but. I want the butt of the rod tucked between my side and my bicep. This could differ on where your customer typically holds a rod. Some guys palm reels, some guys use pistol grips etc. When I build for myself or friends I pick up a rod dry fitted with grips and a reel seat and fine tune it from there to preference. I usually end up in the 16-18" range regardless of length of rod. I typically opt for a 20mm reel seat. When I build for myself I oversize my grips a little bit because I have bigger hands and I don't want my hands cramping up throwing big baits. Since I palm my reel my hands are rarely on the grip itself unless I'm vertical jigging or fighting a fish.

Muskie guys are picky when it comes to gear since you're throwing such big baits for extended periods of times personal preference and comfort really come into play. If dry fitting and getting a rod in your customers hand is possible it is a good idea IMO.

Hopefully this helped a bit. I'm no expert by any means, hopefully Jeremy will pop back in if you have any more questions. He builds some beautiful sticks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2017 08:19PM

There was an article on building musky rods in an earlier RodMaker mag. Might also be on one of Tom's CD's of articles.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 14, 2017 10:54AM

Hello Spencer.

That would be "Musky Rod Specifics" in Volume-7, Issue-3, Page-28, and in SE #2 - Task Specific Rods it is on Page 44.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 14, 2017 01:13PM

Thanks a lot for all your help

Date: April 14, 2017 01:13PM

Thanks a lot for all your help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster