I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wicked tuna rods
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 10:38AM

I was watching wicked tuna last night and noticed how specialized these rods have to be that they are using. They must be 8' to 9' with I would guess 'unlimited' blanks? Any ideas on how these are constructed? My guess would be $2000+ per rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wicked tuna rods
Posted by: Jim Wilson (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 12:04PM

My guess
calstar 10 footgaff blank $150, butt $100, guides, aftco $125, labor $150 Total $525
Jim

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 12:10PM

Commercial fishermen are out to make a living, not to gain prestige - except, of course, unless they become "reality stars". Then they will tout products, for sure.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 01:39PM

Oh..thats quite a bit cheaper than I thought. They seem pretty simplistic.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 06:55AM

I live in NY but I bought my boat from Hudson Outboard in Salisbury, MA 3 yrs ago. He had a couple tuna rods in the shop and one was from the show. A local rod builder builds tuna rods for rec and commercial fishermen. You should call them and get the builders #. I can't remember his name.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2017 06:49PM

Hard Merch. has a lot of Sato Customs. RIP, he was really good.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2017 01:53PM

You can find some info on various setups on some of the fishing forums specifically for the NE. A few minutes with Google should get you some good information.

As Nick said, Brent Ikari from Sato made some of the Hard Merchandise rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster