I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice fishing rod -baistcasting reel
Posted by: Frank Novotny (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 06:14PM

I've only built a couple of ice rods, I live in AZ and have never been ice fishing. A buddy wants a gift rod for his brother for lake trout thru the ice. He describes what he wants as:

1. 36" or a little longer, no shorter
2. A lot of backbone but some flexibility in the tip
3. 6 to 8 guides, more is better
4. baitcasting reel seat

Any suggestions on a blank? Mudhole has a couple rated up to 8 lb, would that do it? 6-8 guides seems silly to me but any recommendations on spacing? How far forward of the reel should I place the first guide? In the alternative, it seems like this would lend itself to a spiral wrap, has anyone spiral wrapped an ice rod?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm a little out of my wheelhouse.

thanks,
frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice fishing rod -baistcasting reel
Posted by: Nate Nelson (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 09, 2017 07:16PM

How big of trout he is catching? If it's he 2-8lb class a MH Walleye blank should work. For a 36" rod I'd say no more than 6 guides which is what I have on my 36" MH walleye rods. I'd go for solid carbon or solid fiberglass fort he blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 08:09PM

Frank,

For lake trout, the medium heavy recipe sounds right on. I doubt that there is any need for any more than 5 guides.

For such a short rod, I certainly would not do a spiral wrap on it. The conventional wrap will be just great on such a rod.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 10, 2017 08:26AM

First of where is he fishing? If you look to Dave Orr's post about lake trout he uses a solid fiberglass blank from Rainshadow and cuts them to size. I use the same blank for large walleye in the Bay of Quinte. The rainshadow solid glass 385X.105X72 blank.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2017 09:24AM

Rolly,
X10 on that blank.

I have used the same blank for building hundreds of heavy duty ice fishing rods for Lake Trout and big Walleye.

When I use this blank, I cut only from the butt of the rod to achieve the desired length.

As a matter of fact, I just happen to have a bunch of casting rod reel seats that I purchased for this blank that are perfect for your use. The internal diameter of these reel seats with a finger on the blank feature are sized just right for these blanks. If you want one or more - just let me know and I will send you what you need for the cost of postage.

By the way, here is a picture of a client with the really nice lake trout that he caught on his first day using one of the ice rods that we mention:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here are a bunch of the same rods - in the dryer - after finish application and build completion:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Frank Novotny (208.18.15.---)
Date: April 10, 2017 01:43PM

Wow. Great responses, thanks. I'll find and order the blanks. Any suggestions on guide size and spacing for a bait casting set up?

Roger, thanks for the offer but, if you have reel seats to fit, I'd like 2. I'd like to send you the $ for both the retail price and shipping. I don't spend a lot of time on message boards so I don't know how to go off line and get your mailing address to send the $. Do you want me to post my personal e mail address so you can send it off line?

Thanks again for all of your help,

frank

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 11, 2017 06:54AM

Roger
Do you use the 9mm or the 9.5 mm reel seat for this blank? I usually only use the top 32 to 36 inches.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster